Spacecraft Launches: Perigee & Apogee - Why Terminate?

In summary: It does seem to clear up the issue. spacecraft launches are usually terminated at either perigee or apogee because they need to be in a specific orbit to do their job correctly.
jose medina pedraza
why spacecraft launches are usually terminated at either perigee or apogee?

Physics news on Phys.org
jose medina pedraza said:
Who says they are? I'm not even sure what you are talking about as it doesn't seem to make sense.

As Phinds said ... that didn't make a lot of sense

do you understand what the definitions perigee or apogee are ?
Describe what you think they are and we can work from there :smile:D

Perhaps the OP is referring to the practice of launching satellites into Geosynch.

From here: http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htmGeosynchronous orbits (GEO) are circular orbits around the Earth having a period of 24 hours. A geosynchronous orbit with an inclination of zero degrees is called a geostationary orbit. A spacecraft in a geostationary orbit appears to hang motionless above one position on the Earth's equator. For this reason, they are ideal for some types of communication and meteorological satellites. A spacecraft in an inclined geosynchronous orbit will appear to follow a regular figure-8 pattern in the sky once every orbit. To attain geosynchronous orbit, a spacecraft is first launched into an elliptical orbit with an apogee of 35,786 km (22,236 miles) called a geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO). The orbit is then circularized by firing the spacecraft 's engine at apogee.

Likes jose medina pedraza
Drakkith said:
Perhaps the OP is referring

I hope this thread doesn't turn into the guessing game "maybe the OP means..."

Yes Drakkith, that's what I meant, but which formulas do I use to calculate the radius 35,786 km (22,236 miles), by knowing that its period is 24 H.

I can't help you there at the moment. I'd have to dig around to see if it's just basic mechanics stuff, or if it's something more complicated.

Yep I tried but I don't understand the programming language

Yes Drakkith, that's what I meant, but which formulas do I use to calculate the radius 35,786 km (22,236 miles), by knowing that its period is 24 H.
The radius of the orbit is not 22,236 miles. Take a trip to Google and look up what reference point that 22,236 figure is measured from.

Now, to determine the radius of the orbit from the period, you need to know two formulas:

The centripetal force required to keep a body in circular motion: ##f=\frac{mv^2}{r}## where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity and r is its distance from the center of the earth.

The force of gravity: ##f=\frac{GmM}{r^2}## where G is Newton's universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, m is the mass of the object and r is the distance of the object from the center of the earth.

Solve these two equations for the radius at which gravity is exactly equal to the required centripetal force.
[Hint: the orbital velocity is easily found from the orbital radius and period.]
[Hint: pick a consistent set of units (e.g. meters, kilograms, seconds) and use that]
[Hint: keep everything symbolic until you have a formula for the quantity you are after in terms of things that you know]

Likes jose medina pedraza
Thanks

What is a spacecraft launch?

A spacecraft launch is the process of sending a spacecraft or rocket into space. It typically involves the use of a launch vehicle, such as a rocket, to propel the spacecraft out of Earth's atmosphere and into orbit.

What is perigee and apogee?

Perigee and apogee are terms used to describe the closest and farthest points in an object's orbit around a celestial body, such as the Earth. Perigee refers to the point in the orbit where the object is closest to the Earth, while apogee refers to the point where the object is farthest from the Earth.

Why do spacecraft launches need to terminate at perigee or apogee?

Spacecraft launches often terminate at perigee or apogee in order to take advantage of the object's position in its orbit. Launching at these points can require less fuel and energy, making the launch more efficient and cost-effective.

What are the benefits of terminating a spacecraft launch at perigee or apogee?

Terminating a spacecraft launch at perigee or apogee can have several benefits, including reducing the amount of fuel and energy needed for the launch, increasing the accuracy and stability of the spacecraft's orbit, and allowing for easier insertion into the desired orbit.

Are there any risks or challenges associated with terminating a spacecraft launch at perigee or apogee?

While terminating a spacecraft launch at perigee or apogee can have many benefits, there are also some risks and challenges involved. These can include potential changes in the spacecraft's orbit due to external factors, such as gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, and the need for precise timing and calculations to ensure a successful launch.