1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of a particle in a given potential (ex. from Mechanics Landau Lifshitz))

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the period of oscillation, as a function of the energy, when a particle of mass ##m## moves in a field for which the potential energy is
    $$ U = U_0 \tan^2\alpha x.$$

2. Relevant equations
    The relevant equation is given by the general formula for the period ##T## of the oscillations:
    $$ T(E) = \sqrt{2m} \int_{x_1(E)}^{x_2(E)} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{E-U(x)}}$$
    where ##x_1(E)## and ##x_2(E)## are roots of ##U(x)=E##, giving the limit of the motion.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem is found in Mechanics by Landau and Lifshtiz at $11 in the 3rd edition. It is basically a problem of integration. The first thing I did is to find ##x_2(E)##, which is not complicated:
    $$E = U_0 tan^2\alpha x \rightarrow x = \frac{1}{\alpha}\arctan \sqrt{\frac{E}{U_0}}$$
    Then given the symmetry of the problem, it is clear that
    $$ T(E) = 2\sqrt{2m} \int_{0}^{x_2(E)} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{E-U_0\tan^2\alpha x}}$$
    Now I am left with an integral that I didn't manage to compute while the result in the book looks very simple.

Thanks for help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2
    I found the way to compute the integral. Firstly, subsitute ##y=\alpha x## to get ride of the ##\alpha## term and then factorize ##E## under the square root. Then substitute ##\sin z = \frac{U_0}{E}\tan y##. If you do everything correctly you will end up with the definite integral:
    $$ \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{dz}{\frac{U_0}{E} + \sin^2 z}$$
    that you can compute by using the residue theorem.

If any of want to try, feel free :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook