Period of mass oscillating on spring elongated 10.6 cm

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Student3.41
Messages
70
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



When a mass is hung from a spring, the spring elongates by 10.6cm. What will the period of the resulting oscillations be if the mass is displaced from equilibrium?

Homework Equations



T=2(pi)[tex]\sqrt{m/k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I have no clue what do with this question, if I am not given a mass or spring constant. I tried using Newtons 2nd Law to find k but without knowing the mass I ended up with two unknowns.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
well do you know how to find force due to a spring?
 
cupid.callin said:
well do you know how to find force due to a spring?

Are you talking about hooke's law? F=-kx
 
yes!

Now, which force do you think is responsible for the decrease in height of mass (not -kx one)!
 
cupid.callin said:
yes!

Now, which force do you think is responsible for the decrease in height of mass (not -kx one)!

Well the only other force acting on the object is gravity..
 
yes ... now as you will know that at point where net acc. on body will be zero ... Fnet = 0

can you figure out m/k now?
 
cupid.callin said:
yes ... now as you will know that at point where net acc. on body will be zero ... Fnet = 0

can you figure out m/k now?

Fnet=0
Fs-mg=0
kx=mg
x/g=m/k

(0.106/9.81)=m/k

=0.104= m/k

T=2(pi)square(0.104)root
Got the answer!

Thanks! I was approaching the problem right, I just never noticed m/k=x/g... appreciate the help
 
Last edited: