Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: SHM of Mass Oscillating between Two Identical Springs

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
    A mass m is connected between two identical springs (along a y-axis) with identical spring constants k. The equilibrium length of each spring is L, but they are stretched to twice this length when m is in equilibrium. By analyzing the force acting on the mass when it is displaced by a small distance x, find the equation of motion of the mass and thus find the angular frequency of oscillation. Ignore gravity.

Hint: You will have to make an approximation, but you only need to keep the term that is linear in x, higher powers of x should be ignored.

2. Relevant equations
    F_sp = -kx = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    When you displace the mass a small x from equilibrium, the y components of the spring forces cancel, leaving twice the spring force in the x direction.

If the angle made from the equilibrium (horizontal) to the stretched state is [tex]\theta[/tex] and the displacement is positive x, then

- 2Fsp sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = max

I'm really confused about what exactly the spring force is: do I need to consider that the spring is stretched or is that irrelevant? And how does the approximation apply to x (aren't we approximating [tex]\theta[/tex]?). Can someone lead me in the right direction?

EDIT:
    I found the magnitude of the spring force to be k(2L-L) = kL.
    I approximated sin[tex]\theta[/tex] to be [tex]\theta[/tex] = x/2L
    So then the net force in the x direction on the mass = -2Fspsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = -kx = max
    So then the equation of motion is just the differential equation for SHM for a mass on a spring?

Is this correct?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Sketch the arrangement, please.

ehild

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    http://webserv.kmitl.ac.th/~physics/mb/images/stories/publisher/witoon/Problem_oscillation.pdf [Broken]

Essentially question #53, except with springs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

Your solution is all right.

ehild

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5
    Great, thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook