1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: SHM of Mass Oscillating between Two Identical Springs

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
    A mass m is connected between two identical springs (along a y-axis) with identical spring constants k. The equilibrium length of each spring is L, but they are stretched to twice this length when m is in equilibrium. By analyzing the force acting on the mass when it is displaced by a small distance x, find the equation of motion of the mass and thus find the angular frequency of oscillation. Ignore gravity.

Hint: You will have to make an approximation, but you only need to keep the term that is linear in x, higher powers of x should be ignored.

2. Relevant equations
    F_sp = -kx = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    When you displace the mass a small x from equilibrium, the y components of the spring forces cancel, leaving twice the spring force in the x direction.

If the angle made from the equilibrium (horizontal) to the stretched state is [tex]\theta[/tex] and the displacement is positive x, then

- 2Fsp sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = max

I'm really confused about what exactly the spring force is: do I need to consider that the spring is stretched or is that irrelevant? And how does the approximation apply to x (aren't we approximating [tex]\theta[/tex]?). Can someone lead me in the right direction?

EDIT:
    I found the magnitude of the spring force to be k(2L-L) = kL.
    I approximated sin[tex]\theta[/tex] to be [tex]\theta[/tex] = x/2L
    So then the net force in the x direction on the mass = -2Fspsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = -kx = max
    So then the equation of motion is just the differential equation for SHM for a mass on a spring?

Is this correct?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Sketch the arrangement, please.

ehild

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    http://webserv.kmitl.ac.th/~physics/mb/images/stories/publisher/witoon/Problem_oscillation.pdf [Broken]

Essentially question #53, except with springs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

Your solution is all right.

ehild

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5
    Great, thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook