Period of oscillation for a mass on a spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
andycl
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A mass which is resting on a horizontal frictionless surface is connected to a fixed spring. The mass is displaced 0.16 m from its equilibrium position and released. At t = 0.50 s, the mass is 0.08 m from its equilibrium position (and has not passed through it yet).

What is the period of oscillation of the mass?

I know I am suppose to put what I have done so far but I have given up with the trying. Could somebody please give me some guidance and explain please.

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can generally write the position of the mass wrt to equilibrium as x(t)=A*cos(omega*t+phi), where A is the maximum displacement and phi is the phase. Since you know you have maximum displacement at t=0 you can set phi=0 and A=0.16m. So x(t)=(0.16m)*cos(omega*t). Enough hints, now can you put the values at t=0.5 sec in and solve for omega? Knowing omega, can you figure out the period?