Periodic electron motion in a perfect conductor using a semiclassical model

In summary: Anyway, that's all I wanted to say.Then I find very surprising that they have been detected experimentally 😯😯. Anyway, that's all I wanted to say.
dRic2
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Imagine to have a perfect conductor, i.e. no impurities and no thermal motion (0K)
According to the semiclassical approximation, in response to a constant electric field I would get a periodic motion of the electron, like this:
Schermata 2019-09-02 alle 17.28.01.png

The sinusoidal type function is the velocity, while the function that goes to infinity is the effective mass. Thus I was wondering, since ##v## also gets negative values, does it means that an electron oscillates back and forth ?

Thanks,
Ric

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes dRic2
fluidistic said:
Yes, this is called Bloch oscillations.

Thanks! Does the electron lose energy due to radiation emission ?

Likes jim mcnamara and fluidistic
dRic2 said:
Thanks! Does the electron lose energy due to radiation emission ?
Good question. I think not, because radiation is a surface phenomenon while we are considering a perfect crystal (and at 0 K), i.e. a bulk. But then it's very strange, because we have a time varying current (AC), but no radiation. I'm not sure what's going on.

Likes dRic2
fluidistic said:
Good question. I think not, because radiation is a surface phenomenon while we are considering a perfect crystal (and at 0 K), i.e. a bulk. But then it's very strange, because we have a time varying current (AC), but no radiation. I'm not sure what's going on.
That's reasonable. At least it is the only think I can think of... I am dumber than usual when it comes to radiation, but assuming that there is a continuous exchange of radiation between electrons in the bulk, wouldn't you expect a more complicated motion instead of simple oscillations ?

dRic2 said:
That's reasonable. At least it is the only think I can think of... I am dumber than usual when it comes to radiation, but assuming that there is a continuous exchange of radiation between electrons in the bulk, wouldn't you expect a more complicated motion instead of simple oscillations ?
Yeah for sure. For one, Bloch oscillations are derived from the idependant electrons assumption.

Likes dRic2
fluidistic said:
Yeah for sure. For one, Bloch oscillations are derived from the idependant electrons assumption.
Then I find very surprising that they have been detected experimentally 😯😯

1. What is periodic electron motion in a perfect conductor?

Periodic electron motion in a perfect conductor refers to the behavior of electrons within a conductor that is ideal and has no resistance. In this model, electrons move in a regular pattern or orbit, similar to how planets orbit the sun.

2. How is a semiclassical model used to study this phenomenon?

A semiclassical model combines classical mechanics, which describes the motion of macroscopic objects, with quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of subatomic particles. This allows scientists to study the periodic motion of electrons in a perfect conductor using principles from both classical and quantum mechanics.

3. What factors affect the periodic motion of electrons in a perfect conductor?

The periodic motion of electrons in a perfect conductor is affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the shape and size of the conductor, and the properties of the conductor's material. These factors can influence the speed, direction, and frequency of the electrons' motion.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying periodic electron motion in a perfect conductor?

Understanding the behavior of electrons in a perfect conductor has practical applications in fields such as electronics and materials science. It can help improve the design and functionality of electronic devices, and aid in the development of new materials with specific conductive properties.

5. What are the limitations of using a semiclassical model to study this phenomenon?

While a semiclassical model is useful for studying the periodic motion of electrons in a perfect conductor, it is not a complete representation of reality. Quantum mechanics, which governs the behavior of subatomic particles, is a probabilistic theory and does not fully align with classical mechanics. Therefore, the model may not accurately predict the behavior of electrons in all scenarios.