1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periscope reflection, but it seems backwards

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.55.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.55.32 PM.png

This is the question and the answer choices. I thought it would be mirror one creates E and mirror 2 creates F, but It's not.... help?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    Then I thought the answer might be C and G, but that's also incorrect, I'm just not sure what to do!

4. Apr 5, 2013 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Extend the mirrors 1, so that you can find a point perpendicularly behind the mirror, and the same distance behind as well - as always happens with a flat mirror.

Now extend mirror 2 and repeat the above step for the final image position.

5. Apr 5, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps remember that mirrors don't magnify an image so the image can't appear closer than the distance a light ray takes from the object to the eye via the mirrors.

6. Apr 5, 2013 #5
    Then I would think B would be the image from 1, but then there is no image from 2... I mean D is perpendicular, but it is further away then the distance from the object to the original mirror

7. Apr 5, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As PeterO says, extend mirror 1 (in this case, up and to the right). If the object is at O and the image is at point X then you should find that the mirror perpendicularly bisects OX. That is not true of OB.

8. Apr 6, 2013 #7

PeterO

Homework Helper

You got B by extending the line from the object past the end of the existing mirror 1. That line is not perpendicular to the mirror.

I said extend mirror 1 - especially up to the right - then draw a line from the object that forms a right angle with the mirror.

Images in plane mirrors are DIRECTLY behind the mirror - so the line joining an object and and image is always perpendicular to the mirror.

9. Apr 6, 2013 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

heatherro92 - Try this experiment. Go to the bathroom and stand facing the mirror. Turn 45 degrees to the right. Does the image in the mirror stay in position A or move to position B ?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted