Periscope reflection, but it seems backwards

• Thread starter heatherro92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about mirrors and their images. The participants considered various answer choices and theories, including extending the mirrors and finding the perpendicular point behind them. They also discussed the concept of images in plane mirrors being directly behind the mirror and the position of an image when facing a mirror at a 45 degree angle.
heatherro92
Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.55.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.55.32 PM.png

This is the question and the answer choices. I thought it would be mirror one creates E and mirror 2 creates F, but It's not... help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.55.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 8.55.32 PM.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Then I thought the answer might be C and G, but that's also incorrect, I'm just not sure what to do!

heatherro92 said:
View attachment 57485

View attachment 57487

This is the question and the answer choices. I thought it would be mirror one creates E and mirror 2 creates F, but It's not... help?

Extend the mirrors 1, so that you can find a point perpendicularly behind the mirror, and the same distance behind as well - as always happens with a flat mirror.

Now extend mirror 2 and repeat the above step for the final image position.

Perhaps remember that mirrors don't magnify an image so the image can't appear closer than the distance a light ray takes from the object to the eye via the mirrors.

Then I would think B would be the image from 1, but then there is no image from 2... I mean D is perpendicular, but it is further away then the distance from the object to the original mirror

heatherro92 said:
Then I would think B would be the image from 1, but then there is no image from 2... I mean D is perpendicular, but it is further away then the distance from the object to the original mirror
As PeterO says, extend mirror 1 (in this case, up and to the right). If the object is at O and the image is at point X then you should find that the mirror perpendicularly bisects OX. That is not true of OB.

heatherro92 said:

You got B by extending the line from the object past the end of the existing mirror 1. That line is not perpendicular to the mirror.

I said extend mirror 1 - especially up to the right - then draw a line from the object that forms a right angle with the mirror.

Images in plane mirrors are DIRECTLY behind the mirror - so the line joining an object and and image is always perpendicular to the mirror.

heatherro92 - Try this experiment. Go to the bathroom and stand facing the mirror. Turn 45 degrees to the right. Does the image in the mirror stay in position A or move to position B ?

Attachments

• Mirror.png
    Mirror.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 485

What is periscope reflection?

Periscope reflection is a type of reflection that occurs when light or sound waves bounce off a mirror at an angle and change direction. It is commonly used in periscopes, which are optical devices that allow people to see objects that are not in their direct line of sight.

Why does periscope reflection seem backwards?

Periscope reflection may seem backwards because the mirror used in a periscope reflects the light or sound waves in such a way that the image appears reversed. This is due to the way light or sound waves bounce off the mirror at an angle and change direction.

Can periscope reflection be used for more than just seeing around corners?

Yes, periscope reflection can be used for a variety of purposes, such as in submarine periscopes to see above the water's surface, in military and surveillance operations, and in medical procedures to view inside the body without invasive surgery.

How does periscope reflection work?

To understand how periscope reflection works, it is important to know that light or sound waves travel in straight lines. When these waves hit a mirror at an angle, they reflect off at the same angle. The periscope uses multiple mirrors to reflect the waves multiple times, allowing the viewer to see around an obstacle.

Is periscope reflection an important concept in science?

Yes, periscope reflection is an important concept in science and has many practical applications. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and optics. Understanding periscope reflection can also help us understand other phenomena, such as the reflection of light in mirrors and the behavior of sound waves.