Permutation and combination problem with coins

In summary, the question is asking for the number of ways to obtain exactly two heads and at least two heads when a coin is flipped n times, using a permutation/combination approach. To obtain exactly two heads, there are n-2 tails in the arrangement. For at least two heads, the number of possible arrangements is found by subtracting the number of arrangements with 0 or 1 head from the total number of possible arrangements.
kenny1999

Homework Statement

Hello, it is a permutation / combination approach question, however, having thought about an hour i can't get any idea how it should be solved.

Question is

A coin is flipped n times, where n>=3

Find the number of ways to obtain

(i) exactly two heads
(ii) at least 2 heads

I am not asking for answers. I have the answers but I don't understand... I don't know how to understand the problem from the definition of permutation and combination.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
To get exactly two heads, you must also get n- 2 tails. How many ways can you arrange HHTTTT...T?

"At least two heads" would mean "NOT 0 heads or 1 head". There are [itex]2^n[/itex] ways to arrange n letters that can be "H" or "T". How many ways are there to arrange HTTTT...T?

What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combination refers to the selection of objects without considering the order in which they are chosen.

How many ways can you arrange a set of coins?

The number of ways to arrange a set of coins can be calculated using the formula n!, where n is the number of coins. For example, if you have 4 coins, there are 4! or 24 ways to arrange them.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n - r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. This is also known as the "n choose r" formula.

How do I know whether to use permutation or combination in a problem?

You should use permutation when the order of the objects matters, and combination when the order does not matter. For example, if you are arranging coins in a specific order, you would use permutation. If you are selecting coins without considering the order, you would use combination.

Can permutation and combination be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, permutation and combination can be applied to real-world problems such as arranging seats at a dinner party or selecting a team for a sports tournament. These concepts are also used in fields such as statistics, probability, and genetics.