Permutation/Combination Theorem: Solving Problem 46b & 47a

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the permutation theorem and combination theorem and when to use each. It also addresses how the answers would change for two similar problems if certain conditions were added. The conclusion is that combination is used when placement matters and permutation is used when placement does not matter.
Miike012
Question 1:

My question is how do I know when to use the permutation theorem or comination theorem?

Theorem in paint document

I'm asking because I would have used permutation thm. on 46 but I was wrong.

Problem 46 b. and Problem 47 a. seem similar. The two main differences that I see are
1. 46. We are given a group of ten people to choose from
47. We are given a group of six people to choose from

2. 46. Placement of bride and groom does not matter (Bride and groom must be in picture- No reference to placement)
47. Placement of bride and groom matters (Bride must be next to groom)

Therefore do I use combination if Placement matters?
And permutation if placement does not matter?

Question 2:
How would the answer to 46 b change if bride must be next to groom?
and
how would answer to 47 a change if bride and groom must be in picture?

Attachments

• BG.jpg
    BG.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. The answer given to 46b is for choosing the 6 people, not for arranging them in a row.
If you care to post your answers to 46a,b,c I (or someone) will check them.

for number 47 part a. If i changed the problem to, the bride and groom must be in the picture then the answer would be,
4 choose 4 = 1.

Miike012 said:
for number 47 part a. If i changed the problem to, the bride and groom must be in the picture then the answer would be,
4 choose 4 = 1.
Did you mean 'must not be in the picture'?

What is the Permutation/Combination Theorem?

The Permutation/Combination Theorem is a mathematical concept that deals with the arrangement and selection of objects in a specific order. It is used to solve problems involving combinations and permutations, which are different ways of selecting and arranging objects or events.

How is the Permutation/Combination Theorem applied?

The Permutation/Combination Theorem is applied in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, and engineering. It is used to solve problems related to probability, counting, and arrangements of objects or events.

What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects in a specific order, while a combination is a selection of objects without considering their order. In other words, order matters in a permutation, but not in a combination.

What is Problem 46b about the Permutation/Combination Theorem?

Problem 46b is a practice problem that involves using the Permutation/Combination Theorem to find the number of ways to arrange a set of objects or events. It may also involve solving for the probability of a specific outcome.

How can I solve Problem 47a using the Permutation/Combination Theorem?

To solve Problem 47a, you will need to identify if it involves combinations or permutations. Then, use the appropriate formula to calculate the number of ways or the probability of the given scenario. Be sure to carefully read and understand the problem before applying the Permutation/Combination Theorem.