1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on permutation and combination(girls and boys standing in a line)

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International A And AS Level/9709 - Mathematics/9709_w03_qp_6.pdf
    question 6 b ii
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The concept is bothering me. the answer is 5! × 3! × 4C1. Why is it a permutation problem? Plus why do we use 5! × 3! in a permutation problem, isn't it used in combinations? as 5!X 3! shows the nos of ways it can be arranged 'in any order' So how can we use that in a permu where order DOES matter!

The reason I think its a permutation problem is because of http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110530100750AAXrtRp
    other than that I dont relly know why it is a permutation problem even.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a picture. How many ways can you position a block of 5 boys in a line of 8 people with 3 girls? Then given that number of patterns how many ways can you shuffle the boys and girls around in their positions?

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    I don't think you got what I was trying to say. Yes i know 'how' it is 5! X 3! ways, but i don't know 'why' it is a permutation, because they are clearly being selected randomly...

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so you know the solution. If it's any help, I would not have written 4C1 instead of 4. The answer is just 4*5!*3!. Why you would write 4C1 instead of 4 escapes me. Is that what you are asking?

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5
    No, ok firstly, do you agree its a permutation sum and NOT a combination?

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree that it has somewhat more to do with permutations, but I also don't think there is an absolutely clear separation between permutation problems and combination problems. Sometimes you have to use a little of both.

8. Mar 23, 2012 #7
    I hesitate to do this since I'm not well-versed in combinations/permutations, but don't we have more than 4(5!)(3!)? The 5! comes from the block of boys, and the 3! from a block of girls, but aren't there more different combinations of girls around the boys? 1 girl in front, 2 in back, 2 in front 1 in back, 3 in front 0 in back. I'm wondering myself how those are accounted for (not to hijack the thread...).

9. Mar 23, 2012 #8
  10. Mar 24, 2012 #9
    You forget another one, 3 in the back 0 in front.
    <--
    GBGG or 3!5!
    GGBG or 3!5!
    GGGB or 3!5!
    BGGG or 3!5!
    =4.3!5!

Anymore combination you can add?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  11. Mar 25, 2012 #10
    Ah, got it. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook