1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation and combination question

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A photographer is positioning 5 men and 4 women for a photo shoot. The men are positioned in the order from shortest on the left to tallest on the right. Find the number of ways the photographer can position them in a row. (All men are of different heights and are not necessarily standing together in a group)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the position of men are fixed, i will just consider the possible permutation of women.

Four women can either stand together as one group, or split into two, three or four groups.

Below are combination forl 5 possible cases
    Grouped together: 6 x 4! = 360
    Form two groups of 2: 4C2/2 x 6P2 = 90
    Form two groups of 1 and 3: 4 x 6P2 = 120
    Form three groups of 1,1 and 2: 4 x 3 x 6P3 = 1440
    All separated: 6P4 = 360

Then I added up all the possible combinations. The answer I obtained is 2154. However, the answer provided is 3024. Can anyone tell me which case I fail to consider? Or is there anything wrong with my working? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

6x24=144, not 360.
    I'm too tired to figure out what you're doing, but I got 360 for this case.
    And 720 for this case.
    We agree on these cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook