Permutation and combination question

In summary, the photographer is positioning 5 men and 4 women for a photo shoot, with the men in order from shortest to tallest. There are 5 possible cases for the women: all grouped together (360), split into two groups of 2 (360), split into two groups of 1 and 3 (720), split into three groups of 1,1, and 2 (1440), and all separated (360). When added together, the total number of ways the photographer can position the group is 3024, not 2154 as previously calculated.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

A photographer is positioning 5 men and 4 women for a photo shoot. The men are positioned in the order from shortest on the left to tallest on the right. Find the number of ways the photographer can position them in a row. (All men are of different heights and are not necessarily standing together in a group)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the position of men are fixed, i will just consider the possible permutation of women.

Four women can either stand together as one group, or split into two, three or four groups.

Below are combination forl 5 possible cases
Grouped together: 6 x 4! = 360
Form two groups of 2: 4C2/2 x 6P2 = 90
Form two groups of 1 and 3: 4 x 6P2 = 120
Form three groups of 1,1 and 2: 4 x 3 x 6P3 = 1440
All separated: 6P4 = 360

Then I added up all the possible combinations. The answer I obtained is 2154. However, the answer provided is 3024. Can anyone tell me which case I fail to consider? Or is there anything wrong with my working? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gaobo9109 said:

Homework Statement

A photographer is positioning 5 men and 4 women for a photo shoot. The men are positioned in the order from shortest on the left to tallest on the right. Find the number of ways the photographer can position them in a row. (All men are of different heights and are not necessarily standing together in a group)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the position of men are fixed, i will just consider the possible permutation of women.

Four women can either stand together as one group, or split into two, three or four groups.

Below are combination forl 5 possible cases
Grouped together: 6 x 4! = 360
6x24=144, not 360.
Form two groups of 2: 4C2/2 x 6P2 = 90
I'm too tired to figure out what you're doing, but I got 360 for this case.
Form two groups of 1 and 3: 4 x 6P2 = 120
And 720 for this case.
Form three groups of 1,1 and 2: 4 x 3 x 6P3 = 1440
All separated: 6P4 = 360
We agree on these cases.
Then I added up all the possible combinations. The answer I obtained is 2154. However, the answer provided is 3024. Can anyone tell me which case I fail to consider? Or is there anything wrong with my working? Thanks

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation is the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combination is the selection of objects without considering their order.

2. How do I calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged.

3. What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

4. Can permutations and combinations be used in real-life scenarios?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various real-life scenarios such as in probability and statistics, genetics, and computer programming.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving permutation and combination questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not considering the order of objects for permutations, using the wrong formula for combinations, and counting duplicate combinations.