1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possibly wrong permutation/combination question?

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In how many ways can 4 red balls, 3 white balls and 1 black ball be arranged in a line so that the black ball is always surrounded by a red and a white ball?

Textbook answer: 20

2. Relevant equations

Chapter was on permutations and combinations, so
    ##n P r = n!/(n-r)!##
    ##n C r = n!/(r!(n-r)!)##

3. The attempt at a solution

We have 4 red, 3 white, 1 black.
    Black must be surrounded by 1 red and 1 white, so we treat RBW as one unit.
    There are two possible combinations of this unit, RBW and WBR, so the result will be multiplied by 2.
    There are 6 possible positions to place this 3 ball unit into an 8-ball space, so there are 6*2 = 12 different ways to place this unit.

For the remaining, we regard only order of color, so we use nCr:
    For the red balls (only 3 remaining, and we have 5 spaces) there are 5 C 3 = 10 different ways to place them.
    For the white balls (only 2 remaining, and we have 2 spaces), there are 2 C 2 = 1 ways to place them.

So the final result is : 12 * 10 * 1 = 120.

I would like a confirmation that this answer is correct (I'm usually not, but maybe I am just this once :wink: )

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds correct to me.

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I get 120 as well. This is ##\displaystyle \frac{6!}{3! 2! 1!} \times 2!## which is another way of looking at it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. Apr 13, 2014 #4
    I also get 120.
    It is twice a permutation of 6 elements (as I'm grouping WBR and RBW) with 3 repetitions of one type and 2 of another type.
    [tex]2 \cdot P^{(3, 2)}_{6}=2 \cdot \frac{6!}{3!2!}=120[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted