1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation/combination problems

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1
    1. Alice rolls an ordinary six-sided die 8 times in succession, and the numbers are recorded (in order). How many possible outcome sequences contain exactly two occurrences of "6" Briefly explain your answer.

2.Bob tosses a coin 20 times and gets 13 heads and 7 tails. In how many ways can these tosses result in exactly three (non-empty) blocks of consecutive heads? For example, HHHTTHHHHHHHHHTTTHTT has three blocks of consecutive heads. Show all steps of your solution. (Hint: Think of distributing apples and oranges to children such that each child gets at least one apple.)

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the problem itself gives a hint! Show us what you have tried on this so we will know where you need help. Do you know anything about "permutations and combination"? What formulas do you have to use?

4. Jan 24, 2007 #3
    there is no specific formula that I need to use..
    For question 2, I think im able to use this formula though (n+r-1)/r
    I have no idea how to apply this formula into that question.
    please help me out here!!

5. Jan 24, 2007 #4
    As an example, if there are 7 bananas, 6oranges, distributed to 4 children, such that each child gets at least 1 banana. in how many ways?

ans: (4+3-1)/3 * (4+6-1)/6

6. Jan 24, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. How many possible outcome sequences are there if out of eight throws, only one six is thrown?

Now, each of these sequences has one six "fixed" in position. How many ways are there to arrange another six in the remaining slots.

Now you have answered the above questions, can you answer the problem?

Do you know anything about permutations/combinations? Do you know a formula to work out such questions?

7. Jan 24, 2007 #6
    if one six is thrown 8 times, there will be 6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6, but I do not know how to get 2 consecutive of 6's.

8. Jan 24, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You titled this "Permutations and Combinations". Surely you learned several formulas for that! You certainly do not use "(n+r-1)/r". I you missing one or more "!" symbols?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?