Help with probability question

In summary: What value of P(B) do you get?Right. What value of P(B) do you get?P(B) = 1/2Yes, so P(A)P(B)=(1/2)(1/2)=1/4Yes, so P(A)P(B)=(1/2)(1/2)=1/4
Mark53

Homework Statement

(a) Suppose a fair six-sided die is rolled once. Let A be the event that an even face occurs and B be the event that a face less than 4 occurs. Are the events A and B independent? Show this mathematically.

(b) A fair coin is tossed three times. Let A be the event that the first toss is a Head and let B be the event all three are the same. Are the events A and B independent? Show this mathematically

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a)
I know that:
P(A) = 1/2
P(B) = 1/2
but I don't know how to show that they are independent

b)
I know that P(A)=1/2 , P(B) = 1/8
but don't know how to show that they are independent

any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You omitted the "Relevant Equations" section. What is your definition of independent? It should be an equation that you can either prove to be true or false in each part of the question.

FactChecker said:
You omitted the "Relevant Equations" section. What is your definition of independent? It should be an equation that you can either prove to be true or false in each part of the question.
p(AuB)=P(A) x P(B)

p(AuB)=1/4

1/4=1/2 x 1/2
1/4=1/4

therefore they are independent

Would this now be correct?

Mark53 said:
p(AuB)=P(A) x P(B)
I assume you mean that a test for independence is that P(A&B)=P(A)P(B). AuB would mean 'or'.
Mark53 said:
p(AuB)=1/4
Are you saying that the probability of rolling an even number less than 4 is 1/4?

haruspex said:
I assume you mean that a test for independence is that P(A&B)=P(A)P(B). AuB would mean 'or'.

Are you saying that the probability of rolling an even number less than 4 is 1/4?
Sorry should say AnB=P(A) x P(B) and that P(AnB)= 1/4

Mark53 said:
Sorry should say AnB=P(A) x P(B) and that P(AnB)= 1/4
You did not answer my question:
haruspex said:

haruspex said:
You did not answer my question:
no I am saying that it is 1/2
P(A) = 1/2

Mark53 said:
no I am saying that it is 1/2
P(A) = 1/2
No, event A is rolling an even number. A&B is rolling an even number less than four. What is the probability of that?

haruspex said:
No, event A is rolling an even number. A&B is rolling an even number less than four. What is the probability of that?
1/6

Mark53 said:
1/6
Right. So is P(A&B)=P(A)P(B)?

haruspex said:
Right. So is P(A&B)=P(A)P(B)?
this means that they are not equal which means they are not independent

does this mean for part b) that P(A&B)=1/8

Mark53 said:
this means that they are not equal which means they are not independent

does this mean for part b) that P(A&B)=1/8
Yes, and yes.

haruspex said:
Yes, and yes.
so this would mean that part b would be independent

Checking the details of the part b answer, I think your original post has a wrong value for P(B).

Mark53 said:
so this would mean that part b would be independent
Right.

Likes Mark53

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is often represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates no chance of the event occurring and 1 indicates absolute certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1/6, or about 16.67%.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through repeated trials.

How can probability be used in real life?

Probability is used in a variety of fields, such as finance, weather forecasting, and sports. It can help businesses make decisions, predict outcomes, and assess risk.

What are some common misconceptions about probability?

One common misconception is the belief in the "law of averages," which suggests that if an event has not occurred in a while, it is more likely to occur in the future. In reality, each event is independent and the probability remains the same. Another misconception is the idea that a series of independent events will balance out in the long run, when in fact, each event has the same probability regardless of past outcomes.