1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation of subsets with like objects Question

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    Permutations of subsets with like objects Question

Hello, I'd like to know if I solved the question correctly; if not, I'd appreciate some help.

Calculate the number of permutations for a subset of 3 objects from a superset of 8 objects where 5 are alike.

My solution attempt: (Please see attachment).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your solution is fine except for the factors like C(5,2). This looks like you are counting the ways of picking 2 objects from 5 identical objects. That's not C(5,2). It's 1.
  4. Jun 24, 2007 #3
    Thank you, you're input helped! I believe the answer is 106, not 196. I was going to post a detailed and neat explanation of how I got 196 but I'm so busy that I can't (which is why it took so long for me to reply); however, since I asked for help and you were nice enough try, the least I can do is post my rough work for you and others to see. I'm pretty sure I got it right this time; if not, someone, lemme know.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?