License Plate Combinations: Clarifying the Math

In summary, @etotheipi and I counted to 6 million different license plate combinations and found that there are 40,560 possible permutations. Math may change from place to place, but this answer should be correct.
requied
Homework Statement
A witness to a hit-and-run accident tells the police that the license plate of the car in the accident, which contains three letters followed by three digits, starts with the letter A and contains both the digits 1 and 2. How many different license plates can fit this description?
Relevant Equations
Counting

permutation(?) = P(n,r) = n!/(n-r)!
I have a question and searched about at google and found an answer which I don't make sure. If there is 26 letters and 10 digits;
my answer is:
first letter: 1 way(which is A)
second letter: 26 way
third letter: 26 way
first digit: 1 way(which is 1)
second digit 1 way(which is 2)
third digit: 10 way
So, I think 26x26x10 license plates can fit this description.
But the other guy had said:
in addition above statements: order three digits ; P(3,3), order three letters ; P(3,3) , thus 26x26x10xP(3,3)xP(3,3)

Which one is correct? Would you please tell how we should think?

DarkFuzzy02.jpeg

edit: I add a photo above so new arrivals can know the drill easily .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Contains both the digits 1 and 2" does not necessarily mean that the first number is 1 and the second 2. One could also have 1*2, *12, 21*, etc.

Likes Delta2, berkeman and requied
Now it is falling into place. I must have missed out some things. Thanks both of you for attention

kuruman said:
"Contains both the digits 1 and 2" does not necessarily mean that the first number is 1 and the second 2. One could also have 1*2, *12, 21*, etc.
I agree with this. The thread title implies that the digits part of the plate are 12n, but the problem statement says merely that the number part contains the digits 1 and 2.

Also, the formula quoted for permutations is wrong:
P(n,r) = n!/(n-r)! x r!
The correct formula is ##P(n, r) = \frac{n!}{(n - r)!}##
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation, about a third the way down the page.

Likes requied
Mark44 said:
I agree with this. The thread title implies that the digits part of the plate are 12n, but the problem statement says merely that the number part contains the digits 1 and 2.

Also, the formula quoted for permutations is wrong:

The correct formula is ##P(n, r) = \frac{n!}{(n - r)!}##
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation, about a third the way down the page.
Thanks to tell the problem with question tread. I've just edited these.

requied said:
Thanks to tell the problem with question tread. I've just edited these.
So can you post your answer? I want to check mine... :wink:

berkeman said:
So can you post your answer? I want to check mine... :wink:
Of course I can, here below;
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-24 at 01.26.19.jpeg

I hope our answers are the same 😅

requied said:
I hope our answers are the same
I processed your dark picture a bit so I could try to read it...

DarkFuzzy02.jpeg

I didn't use any Permutations or Combinations; I only used counting. But I'm not a mathematician, so others will have to chime in about whether your answer is correct. My answer was a bit north of 6 million...

Likes requied
I got the same as @requied's answer for this one

Likes hutchphd and requied
Nitpick: I can't speak for everywhere, but where I live, there are several letters that never appear on any standard plate:
G, I, O, Q and U.

This reduces the plate alphabet to 21 letters.

It differs from place to place, but I, O and Q are pretty universal in 'Murica, making the alphabet 23 letters.

(Of course, this does not apply to vanity plates).

While that's probably outside the scope of the question - mentioning it, and providing a second solution - might net you bonus marks!

DaveC426913 said:
Nitpick: I can't speak for everywhere, but where I live, there are several letters that never appear on any standard plate:
G, I, O, Q and U.
Interesting, and useful.

I can see O (zero confusion) and maybe I (1 confusion?), but G and U? Inquiring minds want to know... :smile:

Personally, here in Cali, I can't tell the difference between E and F if the license plate frame comes up too much.

berkeman said:
Interesting, and useful.

I can see 0 (zero confusion) and maybe I (1 confusion?), but G and U? Inquiring minds want to know... :smile:
6 and V.

1590274130519.png

The next day: 'What? Six bank robberies!? But I just vandalized the library!' 'Nice try. They saw your plate with all the 1's and I's.' 'That's impossible! I've been with my car the whole ti-- ... wait. Ok, wow, that was clever of her.'

https://xkcd.com/1105/

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes FactChecker, berkeman and requied
etotheipi said:
Okay, after a quick PM conversation with @etotheipi I see what I did wrong to overcount up to 6 million. I agree now. Thanks! :smile:

Last edited:
etotheipi said:
So did I.
If we look at just the part with the numbers, there are P(3, 3) = 6 permutations of the symbols 1, 2, *. The * symbol can be any digit 0, 1, 2, …, 9, so for each of the 6 permutations there are 10 possible number patterns. In total, there are 60 different number patterns.

Combining this with the ##26^2## possible letter patterns A**, we have ##26^2 \cdot 60## = 40, 560 different license plates.

Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Hmph. 60 x 232 = 31,740. :wink:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
So, math may change from place to place o0)

requied said:
Yup, but only places with less constrained license plates, like places that allow custom license plates. If the plate is constrained absolutely not to mix alpha and digits, it's still 26*n...

requied said:
And to a place where genuine Arabic numerals are used ...

Arabic .jpg

requied said:
Well...
The fact that it does not specify a state means any letters that are allowed in even one location, should be counted. But if there are letters that are never allowed, then that would reduce the number - which is theoretically fixed and unilateral.

But, technically, it's negated by the existence of vanity plates (assuming they are exempt from the IOQ rules).

I just did a little research and saw that in Chinese there is not letters, but characters around 4000 :) I wonder how they set therir license plates :D

DaveC426913 said:
Where are you getting 23?
Each of the two missing letters can be any of the 26 letters of the alphabet.

I still stand by the OP's and my value, 40,560.

Mark44 said:
DaveC426913 said:
It differs from place to place, but I, O and Q are pretty universal in 'Murica, making the alphabet 23 letters.

I think he is thinking about a different place and just kidding.

Mark44 said:
Each of the two missing letters can be any of the 26 letters of the alphabet.

I still stand by the OP's and my value, 40,560.
Yes, OP's and yours and @etotheipi answers are correct. Dave is bringing up the fact that for real license plates, there are other considerations. A little off-topic, but a useful real-world side comment IMO once the problem is solved.

Related -- we have to limit the characters that are allowed in our default passwords on some of our Ethernet-connected products. Our users too often misread the default passwords on our product labels and cannot use our products when they receive them (and we recommend changing the password right away). "I" and "1" are one example...

requied said:
I think he is thinking about a different place and just kidding.
Part kidding, more pedantic. Maybe useful.

The problem does not say anything about what letter set is expected. It is an assumption made by we as problem solvers that all letters of the alphabet are valid. It's a fair assumption, but an assumption nonetheless.
But the problem does specify a context (license plates) - one in which a non-conventional letter set is specified.It's the kind of thing that could earn the student bonus marks for pointing out ( definitely in addition to providing the expected answer!)

DaveC426913 said:
Part kidding, more pedantic. Maybe useful.

The problem does not say anything about what letter set is expected. It is an assumption made by we as problem solvers that all letters of the alphabet are valid. It's a fair assumption, but an assumption nonetheless.
But the problem does specify a context (license plates) - one in which a non-conventional letter set is specified.It's the kind of thing that could earn the student bonus marks for pointing out ( definitely in addition to providing the expected answer!)
Yea I already got what you mean. Thanks for the explanation again. Forgive me if you got me wrong :)

DaveC426913 said:
Half kidding, half pedantic. Maybe useful.

There's a context, as you note below. Although I don't believe the OP is a native speaker of English, the problem is written in English, so it's reasonable to assume that the Roman alphabet is the one in play, with its 26 upper-case characters. That's a reasonable assumption, but IMO it is not reasonable to assume that, say, some letters or letter combinations aren't allowed, or that digits are anything other than the decimal digits 0 through 9.
If the person who wrote the problem wanted to add restrictions on certain letters or combinations thereof, he or she should have included them.

DaveC426913 said:
But the problem does specify a context - one in which a non-conventional letter set is specified.
How so?
Here is the problem statement from post #1:
A witness to a hit-and-run accident tells the police that the license plate of the car in the accident, which contains three letters followed by three digits, starts with the letter A and contains both the digits 1 and 2. How many different license plates can fit this description?
Which non-conventional letter set do you believe is specified here?

Likes requied
Mark44 said:
If the person who wrote the problem wanted to add restrictions on certain letters or combinations thereof, he or she should have included them.
I couldn't agree more :ok:

Mark44 said:
Although I don't believe the OP is a native speaker of English?
I would not have thought that. It was not my intention to obfuscate - only to elaborate.

Mark44 said:
How so?
Here is the problem statement from post #1:
Which non-conventional letter set do you believe is specified here?
The set used for license plates, of course. i.e.: 26, sans I, O and Q.

DaveC426913 said:
I would not have thought that. It was not my intention to obfuscate - only to elaborate.
Just to be difficult, the witness could have seen a made-to-order vanity license plate "AQT 812" on a pizza delivery vehicle. Note that it contains "Q" and fits the parameters of the problem.

A cutie ate one too.

DaveC426913 said:
That was an additional assumption/restriction on your part, not one that was given in the problem statement, and one that likely would have led to an incorrect answer.

DaveC426913 said:
While that's probably outside the scope of the question
Yes.
DaveC426913 said:
mentioning it, and providing a second solution - might net you bonus marks!
Or not...
DaveC426913 said:
But the problem does specify a context (license plates) - one in which a non-conventional letter set is specified.
No, there is no mention whatsoever in the problem statement (which I quoted several posts back) about any non-conventional letter sets or any restrictions other than three letters followed by three digits.

Since the original question has been answered to the OP's satisfaction, and further talk about reduced sets of letters is off-topic, I am closing this thread.

Likes requied
requied said:
Of course I can, here below;
View attachment 263365
I hope our answers are the same 😅
You are double counting some of the numerics. E.g. you are counting 112 as an example of x12 and as an example of 1x2.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
You are double counting some of the numerics. E.g. you are counting 112 as an example of x12 and as an example of 1x2.
So the answer became 36.504

requied said:
So the answer became 36.504
Yes.

Likes requied