Permutations, combinations and variations of negative numbers.

In summary, the conversation is about the definition of permutations, combinations, and variations of negative numbers and a confusion regarding the formula for combinations with negative numbers. The standard answer is zero, but there is some speculation about the formula and its interpretation. The person apologizes for not being able to properly format the equation in LaTeX.
sutupidmath
need help on this?

well guys i was doing some problems with series and i cam up with this problem, i think it belongs to combinatorics but i'll post it here.
How is defined the permutations, combinations and variatons of negative numbers. For example if you were required to find the combinations of -2 elements taken from a set of n elements. TO me this makes no sens?

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-2\\&n)[/tex]

any help would be appreciated

p.s. sorry for my latex, but i do not know how to write this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Zero. Or not

sutupidmath said:
How is defined the permutations, combinations and variatons of negative numbers. For example ...[itex]\left( {\small \begin{array}{c}n \\ -2 \end{array} } \right)[/itex]

The standard answer is zero, but if you simply plug a negative value for m (or a value exceeding n) into the formula
[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{c}n\\ m \end{array} \right) = \frac{n!}{m! \, (n-m)!}
= \frac{n \, (n-1) \dots (n-m+1)}{ m \, (m-1) \, (m-2) \dots 1}
[/tex]
you get nonsense. See this and this for some musings which should intrigue you!

sutupidmath said:
p.s. sorry for my latex, but i do not know how to write this.

Try hitting "reply" and look at the LaTeX markup in the window.

Last edited:

Sure, I'd be happy to help! Permutations, combinations, and variations can definitely be extended to include negative numbers. Let's go through each one and see how it would work with negative numbers:

1. Permutations: A permutation is an arrangement of objects where the order matters. In the case of negative numbers, we would still follow the same rules as we do with positive numbers. For example, if we have the set {-3, -2, -1}, the number of permutations of 2 elements would be 6, just like it would be for positive numbers. The only difference is that we would have negative numbers in our arrangements.

2. Combinations: A combination is a selection of objects where the order doesn't matter. Again, the rules for combinations would stay the same for negative numbers. For example, if we have the set {-3, -2, -1} and we want to find the number of combinations of 2 elements, it would be 3, just like it would be for positive numbers. The only difference is that we would have negative numbers in our selections.

3. Variations: A variation is similar to a permutation, but it allows for repetition of elements. For negative numbers, the rules would still be the same. For example, if we have the set {-3, -2, -1} and we want to find the number of variations of 2 elements, it would be 9, just like it would be for positive numbers. The only difference is that we would have negative numbers in our variations.

In summary, the definitions of permutations, combinations, and variations remain the same for negative numbers. The only difference is that we would have negative numbers included in our sets or arrangements. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

1. What is the difference between permutations, combinations, and variations of negative numbers?

Permutations involve arranging a set of numbers in a specific order, while combinations involve choosing a subset of numbers without considering order. Variations are similar to combinations, but order is taken into account.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible combinations of negative numbers?

The formula for combinations of negative numbers is nCr = n!/r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items to be chosen. This formula can also be extended to variations by taking into account the order of the chosen items.

3. Can negative numbers be used in permutations?

Yes, negative numbers can be used in permutations. The same principles and formulas apply, regardless of whether the numbers are positive or negative.

4. Are there any restrictions on using negative numbers in permutations, combinations, and variations?

There are no specific restrictions on using negative numbers in these mathematical concepts. However, it is important to note that negative numbers can result in negative values, so it is important to consider the context and relevance of the results.

5. How are permutations, combinations, and variations of negative numbers used in real life?

These concepts are often used in statistics and probability to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes. For example, they can be used to determine the number of combinations of negative stock prices that may occur in a given time period, or the number of variations of negative test results in a clinical trial. They are also used in fields such as computer science and cryptography for data encryption and decryption.