Peroid of a summation of sinusoids

In summary, the conversation discusses finding 48 data points evenly spaced between one period of a given function, which includes two sinusoids. The conversation also touches on the concept of period and how it relates to the addition of two sinusoids. The participants also suggest sketching the waveforms to better understand the concept.
jegues

Homework Statement

I have the following function,

[tex]f(t) = 2048 + 700cos(31.25*2\pi t) - 1100sin(125*2 \pi t)[/tex]

and I need to find 48 data points spread evenly between one peroid of the waveform.

How would I go about doing this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the individual peroid of each of the sinusoids,

[tex]T_{cos} = \frac{1}{f_{cos}} = \frac{1}{31.25}[/tex]

[tex]T_{sin} = \frac{1}{f_{sin}} = \frac{1}{125}[/tex]

But I can't figure the resulting peroid of two added together. Any ideas?

Also, I don't know how to collect 48 evenly spaced data points within the peroid once I find it. How would I go about achieveing such a task?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Write your cosine period as a fraction with no decimals.

LCKurtz said:
Hint: Write your cosine period as a fraction with no decimals.

[tex]T_{cos} = \frac{1}{f_{cos}} = \frac{4}{125}[/tex]

I'm still a little confused how to find the resulting peroid though.

jegues said:
[tex]T_{cos} = \frac{1}{f_{cos}} = \frac{4}{125}[/tex]

I'm still a little confused how to find the resulting peroid though.

Think about the fact that one period is a multiple of the other.

LCKurtz said:
Think about the fact that one period is a multiple of the other.

I need more help...

I still don't know where to start...

Can I just add them?

jegues said:
I need more help...

I still don't know where to start...

Can I just add them?

If a function has period P can you tell whether or not 2P or 3P or 4P is also a period?

LCKurtz said:
If a function has period P can you tell whether or not 2P or 3P or 4P is also a period?

I'm confused with the question.

A function would only have one peroid, wouldn't it?

2P would be twice the peroid, I could tell because it would be twice as long.

The waveform would stretched out further horizontally due to it having to take more time to elapse.

I can tell I'm missing the fundamental insight that should arise from this question, can you be more blunt?

jegues said:
I'm confused with the question.

A function would only have one peroid, wouldn't it?

The waveform would stretched out further horizontally due to it having to take more time to elapse.

I can tell I'm missing the fundamental insight that should arise from this question, can you be more blunt?

When we say "the" period of a periodic function is P, we usually mean that P is the smallest positive value such that f(x+P) = f(x) for all x. However it is correct to say any Q > 0 that has the property that f(x+Q) = f(x) is a period of the function also. It just may not be the smallest period. After all, if a function repeats every 2 units, wouldn't also repeat every 4 units? If f has period P, what do you get if you calculate ##f(x+2P) = f((x+P)+P)=?##

jegues said:
Neatly sketch a large sinusoid across a sheet of squared paper. Now, on the same axis, sketch another sinusoid, but draw this one of smaller amplitude and show it having exactly 4 cycles within the time of the first one having just one cycle.

Underneath these, sketch their sum.

Try some more sketches. Try it again, but this time make the first one of smaller amplitude and the second one the larger.

In each case, what is the period of the waveform that is their sum?

What is the period of a summation of sinusoids?

The period of a summation of sinusoids is the smallest positive value of t for which the function repeats itself. This means that the function will have the same values at t and (t + period), (t + 2*period), and so on.

How do you find the period of a summation of sinusoids?

The period can be found by taking the least common multiple (LCM) of the periods of each individual sinusoid in the summation. If the periods are in the form of fractions, they should be converted to their lowest common denominator before finding the LCM.

Can the period of a summation of sinusoids be infinite?

No, the period of a summation of sinusoids cannot be infinite. It is always a finite value, as it represents the smallest value for which the function repeats itself.

What is the relationship between the period of a summation of sinusoids and the periods of its individual sinusoids?

The period of a summation of sinusoids is the LCM of the periods of its individual sinusoids. This means that the period of the summation will be the smallest value for which all the individual sinusoids also repeat themselves.

How is the period of a summation of sinusoids affected by changes in amplitude and frequency?

Changes in amplitude and frequency of the individual sinusoids in the summation will not affect the period of the summation. The period will only be affected by changes in the phases of the individual sinusoids.