Perpendicular Forces, Acceleration and Mass Problem

In summary, two perpendicular forces of 45.0 N and 60.0 N act on an object with a mass of 35.0 kg. Using the formula F=ma, the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of the object is 2.14 m/s^2. The value of 87.46 N for c in the Pythagorean Theorem is incorrect and should be 75 N. The correct answer is not listed among the options provided, suggesting a possible typo in the problem.
rwishka

Homework Statement

Two perpendicular forces, one of 45.0 N directed upward and the second of 60.0 N directed to the right, act simultaneously on an object with a mass of 35.0 kg. What is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of the object?

A. 8.68 m/s^2
B. 3.00 m/s^2
C. 5.25 m/s^2
D. 1.41 m/s^2

Homework Equations

F = ma to a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

a = F/35.0 kg

I simply don't understand what to do with the two forces? Should I draw a diagram? Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration on the particle will be due to the resultant force. How can you calculate the resultant of the two forces? Draw a diagram-- it may help you.

Would I use the Pythagorean Theorem?

I did (45.0)^2 + (60.0)^2 = c^2
c = 87.46 N

I plugged that into a = 87.46 N/35.0 kg, and got an incorrect answer.

What did I do wrong?

Your calculation for c is wrong. Try checking it again.

Sorry, c is 75 Newtons.

a = 75 N/35.0 kg
a = 2.14 m/s^2

Am I missing a step?

(Thanks for helping me so far)

Well, that's the answer I get. Either we're both overlooking something, or there's a typo in the question (I'd say that the latter was more likely!) Are you sure you wrote down the question and answers correctly (is there a possibility that the mass is 25kg?)

I checked and that is the problem. Hmm. Well, thank you for helping me! :)

1. What are perpendicular forces?

Perpendicular forces are forces that act on an object at right angles to each other. This means that they are acting in different directions and do not cancel each other out.

2. How do perpendicular forces affect acceleration?

Perpendicular forces can cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the perpendicular forces are equal, they will cancel each other out and there will be no acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between mass and acceleration in a perpendicular force problem?

In a perpendicular force problem, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration, and vice versa.

4. How can I calculate the net force in a perpendicular force problem?

To calculate the net force, you must first determine the individual forces acting on the object. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force, which is the net force acting on the object.

5. Can perpendicular forces produce circular motion?

Yes, perpendicular forces can produce circular motion. When two perpendicular forces of equal magnitude act on an object, they cause it to move in a circular path. This is known as centripetal force.