1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpendicular wires carrying current, torque

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two thin wires of length [tex] L_1, L_2 [/tex] were placed perpendicular to each other in half of their lengths. Wires are carrying current [tex] I_1[/tex] and [tex] I_2. [/tex] Find the torque on each of those wires.
    2. Relevant equations

[tex] \tau = \mu \times B = r \times F [/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    To calculate the force I need the magnetic field, which I don't really know how to calculate in this problem. Calculating the magnetic dipole moment would require surface area, which I guess is zero(wires are infinitely thin) so it's a dead end. In parallel lines problem I could calculate magnetic field and force easily in any point in space, but I guess I can't really do that here because there is no distance between the wires. Where should I start?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello zzz and welcome to PF.

Re distance:
    The thing to do is not to let that lack of info stop you: call this distance d, or use 1 m to begin with, whatever. Perhaps it cancels later on...

Re μ: doesn't appear , so I don't know what it stands for here ;)

Re: magnetic field: you should be able to find something on the magnetic field due to a current carrying wire...(If you can for parallel wires, you can also do it for perpendicular ones: B fields simply add up -- and wire 2 only "feels" the field from 1 anyway)

(By the same token as the distance: B field of infinitley long wire to begin with: what changes (strength, direction) if length is finite...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted