1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Personal Chances at Grad Admission

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    I am an senior ready to start applying to grad school. Hopefully, you guys can look at my following circumstances:

In my freshmen year, I did not study hard or provide myself with the proper motivation to do well. I poorly in my science classes (which composed of two biology class, general chemistry, and Calc II - no Physics) and got a 2.5 GPA as a result. My non science classes were all B's and A's that year. I then switched from Biology to Physics and took the appropriate physics, electives, and upper-level math courses during my Sophomore and Junior year. I buckled down and literally only got A's in these class and expect to do so again this upcoming semester. Due to my first year, my current GPA is about a 3.50 and I expect it to rise to 3.53/3.54 or so in the next semester. I have good extracurriculars and about a year or so of lab experience.

Do I stand a chance against all the other applicants who didn't have a terrible first year as I had? Will those initial bad grades prevent me from getting into a good (Not necessarily at all TOP, but good - a Grad school I can be happy and proud of attending) graduate school program, even if I did amazing on all of my physics classes?

On that topic, what do physics graduate schools look for in a applicant? What would you say are the important qualities they look for and how I can demonstrate them? For instance, oftentimes, grad schools say that although one my not have as high a GPA as another student, it can be offset by other qualities. Is the required marginal change in these other qualities for a certain amount of GPA lower (relative to another applicant) very large i.e. having a 3.5 compared to a 3.6 requires a much larger amount of lab experience or standardized test score to compete? Even if my non-GPA qualities are good or excellent, realistically, are there "too" many people with similar non-GPA credentials and higher GPAs that, in reality, my (freshmen) GPA is the thing holding me back?

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. Any advice for me in general is also welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    physics grad school is more competitive (by far) than that for almost any other science/engineering with the possible exception of EE and CS.

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3
    Well, first off I'm not an expert on this sort of thing. Secondly, I'm in a similar situation.

Probably going to be really tough to get into Harvard; it's tough whether you're a perfect student or not, but they've got more than enough excellent students to take up all of their spots.

However, everything I know about graduate admissions profiles tells me that you've got a perfectly fine shot at a more ordinary school, although getting in is still hard for everybody.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook