Perturbation theory energy shift for hydrogen atom

In summary, the energy En of the usual hydrogenic state is shifted by some expression given. The relativistic correction to the hydrogen atom is commonly found in the fine structure correction.
philip041
I'm trying to follow some working by lecturer;

Treating delK (previously found in first bit of question), show that the energy En of the usual hydrogenic state [nlm> is shifted by some expression given.

basically we start with

[tex]

\[
\frac{1}{2m_{0}c^{2}} \left\langle nlm\right|\left(\hat{H_{0}} - V\left(r\right)\right)^{2}\left|nlm\right\rangle
\]

[/tex]

and it goes to

[tex]

\[
\frac{1}{2m_{0}c^{2}} \left\langle nlm\right|\left(E_{n}+\frac{\alpha\hbar c}{r}\right)^{2}\left|nlm\right\rangle
\]

[/tex]

I don't understand what he has done top replace the H - V?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Philip041 :smile:

Could you describe what delK is? From what I can see, this looks like the first order relativistic correction to the hydrogen atom, commonly found in the fine structure correction (minus the spin orbit coupling).

philip041 said:
I don't understand what he has done top replace the H - V?

Hi philip041! :smile:

Well, H0|nlm> = En|nlm> by definition.

What is V(r)?

(it's presumably defined so that V(r)|nlm> is approximately (ahc/r)|nlm>)

In that step Professor Heath has taken the potential given in the question (4th line down from the question number) and worked on it using the definition of alpha.

[tex]V\left(r\right) = -\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}\hbar c}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha\hbar c = \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

So, [tex]V\left(r\right) = -\frac{\alpha\hbar c}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\left(H_{0}-V\left(r\right)\right) = \left(H_{0} + \frac{\alpha\hbar c}{r}\right)[/tex]

Ta Da!

Last edited:
I looked at your profile yesterday(!) by chance and thought 'only Jew Dave would call himself that', I'm assuming it is Jew Dave? Or Gayer than Gay Dave.. Cheers for the heads up. Hope revision's going well. I think I will be getting a 2:2 at this rate, I'm holding out for Bristol to flood so we can't take exams...

I hope my previous post doesn't constitute bad banter, they are legitimate nicknames of people on my course...

The question is: which phil are you??

Dave

How many Daves and Phils are there in your place? :smile:

and isn't there a tiny-dave or a tiny-phil? :tongue2:​

I can think of at least 3 Phil's in this lecture course, and there's probably a similar number of Daves. I suppose if you want I can be tiny-dave too, I'm only 6'2''...

Dave

I'm the cool one

demonstrated by association with this forum

1. What is perturbation theory energy shift for hydrogen atom?

Perturbation theory energy shift for hydrogen atom is a mathematical approach used to calculate the energy levels of a hydrogen atom in the presence of an external perturbation, such as an electric or magnetic field. It takes into account the interaction between the electron and the perturbing field to determine the energy corrections to the unperturbed energy levels of the atom.

2. Why is perturbation theory used for hydrogen atom?

Perturbation theory is used for hydrogen atom because it allows for a more accurate calculation of the energy levels compared to the simple Bohr model. The Bohr model only considers the Coulomb interaction between the electron and the nucleus, while perturbation theory takes into account additional perturbations that can affect the energy levels, such as the spin-orbit interaction.

3. How is perturbation theory energy shift calculated?

The perturbation theory energy shift for hydrogen atom is calculated using the first-order perturbation theory equation: ΔEn = ⟨ψn|H'|ψn, where ΔEn is the energy shift for the nth energy level, H' is the perturbation Hamiltonian, and ψn is the unperturbed wavefunction for the nth energy level.

4. What factors can affect the perturbation theory energy shift for hydrogen atom?

There are several factors that can affect the perturbation theory energy shift for hydrogen atom, including the strength of the perturbing field, the distance between the electron and the perturbing source, and the direction and orientation of the perturbing field with respect to the electron's orbit. Additionally, other perturbations such as the Lamb shift and the hyperfine structure can also contribute to the energy shift.

5. How accurate is perturbation theory for calculating the energy levels of hydrogen atom?

Perturbation theory is a highly accurate method for calculating the energy levels of hydrogen atom, especially when higher-order perturbation terms are taken into account. It can accurately predict the energy levels to within a few parts per million, making it an essential tool for understanding the behavior of atoms in the presence of external fields.