Darwin term in a hydrogen atom - evaluating expectation values

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty in evaluating the expectation values resulting from the Δ equation, specifically when there is a momentum operator involved. The question asked for help in calculating Δ, which involves the Laplacian of Vc, and how it relates to the given equation. The response suggested using the property that ##\nabla (AB) = B (\nabla A) + A (\nabla B)## and being careful with ##\nabla^2 \frac{1}{r}##.
astrocytosis

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-25_1-48-25.png

Homework Equations

VD= -1/(8m2c2) [pi,[pi,Vc(r)]]

VC(r) = -Ze2/r

Energy shift Δ = <nlm|VD|nlm>

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to evaluate the expectation values that result from the Δ equation. When I do out the commutator, I get p2V-2pVp+Vp2. This results in expectation values such as <1/r2 p> and <1/r p2>. I'm not sure how to calculate them when there is a momentum operator hanging off the end like that, since I don't know the exact form of the wavefunction (n,l,m not specified) and don't know how to do the integral. Also, most online sources write VD in terms of the Laplacian of VC. I know the Laplacian arises from the momentum operator squared, but I am confused as to how this can be equivalent the equation given here.

My question is really just how to do Δ = <nlm|-1/(8m2c2) [pi,[pi,Vc(r)]]|nlm>.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-25_1-48-25.png
    upload_2019-2-25_1-48-25.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,261
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that ##\nabla (AB) = B (\nabla A) + A (\nabla B)##, so imagine that the operators are applied to an arbitrary wave function ##\psi##.

What you have to be careful here is ##\nabla^2 \frac{1}{r}## (see eq. (24) in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Laplacian.html).

1. What is the Darwin term in a hydrogen atom?

The Darwin term, also known as the Darwin correction, is a relativistic correction to the energy levels of a hydrogen atom. It takes into account the effects of the electron's finite mass and its motion around the nucleus. This correction is important for accurately predicting the energy levels of a hydrogen atom at high precision.

2. How is the Darwin term calculated?

The Darwin term is calculated by solving the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the effects of special relativity on the motion of the electron in the hydrogen atom. The solution of the Dirac equation includes the Darwin term as a correction to the energy levels.

3. What is the significance of the Darwin term in the hydrogen atom?

The Darwin term is significant because it helps to explain the fine structure of the energy levels in a hydrogen atom. Without this correction, the energy levels would not accurately match the experimental results. It also provides evidence for the validity of the Dirac equation and the principles of special relativity.

4. How does the Darwin term affect the expectation values in a hydrogen atom?

The Darwin term affects the expectation values by changing the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. This, in turn, affects the probability of finding the electron at a certain energy level. The expectation values are calculated by taking into account the Darwin term, along with other relativistic corrections, to accurately predict the behavior of the electron in the hydrogen atom.

5. Can the Darwin term be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen?

Yes, the Darwin term can be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen. However, its effects are more significant in lighter atoms, such as hydrogen, due to their simpler electronic structure. In heavier atoms, the effects of the Darwin term are overshadowed by other relativistic corrections, making it less significant in the overall energy levels of the atom.