1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation theory in 3D potential

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a quantum particle of mass m in a 3-D harnonic potential with frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] and it experiences a perturbation [itex]H_{1}=az^{2}[/itex]

a. Determine the effect of [tex]H_{1}[/tex] on the 1st exicted level of the system ( at the 1st order perturbation)

b. what happen to L[tex]^{2}[/tex] and [tex]L_{z}[/tex]? are they still conserved in presence of [tex]H_{1}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

1st order : [itex]E^{(1)}=<\Psi|H_{1}|\Psi[/itex]>

3. The attempt at a solution

Subsititute in the perturb into the energy equation.

[itex]E^{(1)}=<\Psi|az^{2}|\Psi[/itex]>

1st excited state is [itex]|\Psi_{112}[/itex]>, [itex]|\Psi_{121}[/itex]>, [itex]|\Psi_{211}[/itex]>

then find the value of <[itex]\Psi_{112}|az^{2}||\Psi_{112}[/itex]>, <[itex]\Psi_{121}|az^{2}||\Psi_{121}[/itex]>,
    <[itex]\Psi_{211}|az^{2}||\Psi_{211}[/itex]>, susb [itex]z^{2}=r^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex]
    and [itex]x^{2}=\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}[a^{2}_{+}+a_{+}a_{-}+a_{-}a_{+}+a^{2}_{-}][/itex]
    but i don't know what is the representation for [itex]y^{2} and r^{2}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    can anyone tell me if i am heading the right direction? thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook