1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum harmonic oscillator inner product

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the equations that are defined in the 'relevant equations' box, show that

$$\langle n' | X | n \rangle = \left ( \frac{\hbar}{2m \omega} \right )^{1/2} [ \delta_{n', n+1} (n+1)^{1/2} + \delta_{n',n-1}n^{1/2}]$$

2. Relevant equations
    $$\psi_n(x) = \left ( \frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar 2^{2n} (n!)^2} \right )^{1/4} \text{exp} \left ( \frac{-m \omega x^2}{2 \hbar} \right )H_n \left [ \left ( \frac{m \omega}{\hbar} \right )^{1/2} x \right ] $$
    where ##H_n## are the Hermite polynomials.

The questions asks you to use the useful relations:
    $$ H_n^{'}(y) = 2nH_{n-1}$$ $$H_{n+1}(y) = 2yH_n -2nH_{n-1}.$$
    I think that the following is also needed:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} H_n(y)H_{n'}(y) e^{-y^2} dy =\delta_{nn'}(\pi^{1/2}2^n n!).$$

Here ##yb = x## where $$b = \left ( \frac{\hbar}{m \omega} \right)^{1/2}.$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Since $$| n \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} | x' \rangle \langle x'| n \rangle dx'= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} | x' \rangle \psi_n(x') dx',$$ $$ \langle n' | X | n \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \langle x | x' \rangle x' \psi_{n'}(x) \psi_n(x') dx' dx.$$

This becomes $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \psi_{n'}(x) \psi_{n} (x) dx. $$

Substituting into ##y##, we have $$b^2 A_n A_{n'} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} ye^{-y^2} H_n(y) H_{n'}(y) dy. $$

Using the relations, this becomes $$b^2 A_n A_{n'} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac12 H_{n+1} H_{n'} e^{-y^2} + n H_{n-1} H_{n'}e^{-y^2} \ dy.$$

I'm unsure how to write these integrals. In particular, which number to choose as the ##n## corresponding to the useful integral.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2
    Ok if I write it like this $$b^2 A_n A_{n'}( \delta_{n',n+1} [\pi^{1/2} 2^n (n+1)!] + \delta_{n',n-1} [\pi^{1/2}2^{n-1}(n-1)!]).$$
    The product ##A_nA_{n'}## is $$ \frac{1}{b \pi^{1/2}} \frac{1}{ 2^{n'/2} 2^{n/2} (n!)^{1/2} (n'!)^{1/2 } }.$$

If you replace ##n'## with ##n+1## in the first term and ##n'## with ##n-1## in the second, you get

$$\frac{b}{\sqrt{2}} [ \delta_{n',n+1} (n+1)^{1/2} + \delta_{n',n-1} n^{1/2}],$$ which is the correct answer. This makes sense to me, but is it correct?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted