1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation theory, second-order correction - When does the sum stop?

1. Oct 4, 2014 #1

DataGG

Gold Member

I've no idea if I should be posting this here or in the general forums.
    This is not really an exercise as much as an example. I'm not understanding something though:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using perturbation theory, find the exact expression for the energy given by the hamiltonian:

$$\hat{H}=\hat{H_0} + \hat{H_p} = - \dfrac{\hbar}{2m}\dfrac{d^2}{dX^2} + \dfrac{1}{2}m\omega \hat{X}^2 + q\epsilon \hat{X}$$

I'm only having problems with the second-order correction.

The formula for the second-order correction is below. My question is: How do we find ##m## and ##n##? Is their inequality the only restriction? Can they both go to infinity? How do I find where the sum stops?

2. Relevant equations

$$E^{(2)}_n=\sum _{m \ne n} \dfrac{|<\phi _m |\hat{W}|\phi _n >^2 |}{E_n ^{(0)} -E_m^{(0)}} $$

3. The attempt at a solution

This is an example. The full exercise is explained in a book. However, in order to compreehend one of the steps, I need to find out how to find out where the sum stops.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2014 #2

DataGG

Gold Member

Oh.. I think I can answer my own question.

The sum stops when the numerator is zero. In the above example, it's gonna be zero everytime ##m## and ##n## differ more than 1. The sum is, however, supposed to be an infinite sum, correct?

4. Oct 4, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##n## is fixed, and the sum is over ##m##. You need to sum over all states except for the nth state. In this particular case, you're right that almost all the terms vanish, so you're only left with one or two terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted