Time independent perturbation theory

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.In summary, the time independent perturbation theory involves expanding eigenstates in a convenient basis and using the Schrodinger equation to find solutions. The Schrodinger equation is derived by sandwiching both sides of the first equation between an eigenstate of the operator. The matrix elements for this equation involve the unperturbed eigenstates and the perturbation operator.
barefeet

Homework Statement

The following text on the time independent perturbation theory is given in a textbook:

[tex] \hat{H} = \hat{H}_0 + \alpha \hat{H'} [/tex]
We expand its eigenstates [itex] \mid n \rangle [/itex] in the convenient basis of [itex] \mid n \rangle^{(0)} [/itex]
[tex] \mid n \rangle = \sum_m c_{nm} \mid m \rangle^{(0)} [/tex]
The Schrodinger equation in these notations becomes
[tex] \left\{ E_n(\alpha) - E_m^{(0)} \right\}c_{nm} = \alpha \sum_p c_{np} M_{mp} [/tex]
With
[tex] M_{nm} = \langle n \mid \hat{H'} \mid m \rangle [/tex]I don't understand how the second last equation is derived and I don't know how the Schrodinger equation is used

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think of is to use the first equation and let both sides be sandwiched between an eigenstate [itex] \mid n \rangle [/itex] of the operator [itex] \hat{H} [/itex]

[tex]\langle n \mid \hat{H} \mid n \rangle = \langle n \mid \hat{H_0} \mid n \rangle + \alpha \langle n \mid \hat{H'} \mid n \rangle [/tex]

[tex] \langle n \mid E_n(\alpha) \mid n \rangle = \sum_m c_{nm}^* \langle m \mid^{(0)} \hat{H_0} \mid \sum_k c_{nk} \mid k \rangle^{(0)} + \alpha \langle n \mid \hat{H'} \mid \sum_p c_{np} \mid p \rangle^{(0)} [/tex]

[tex] E_n(\alpha) = \sum_m c_{nm}^*c_{nm} E_m^{(0)} + \alpha \sum_p c_{np} \langle n \mid \hat{H'} \mid p \rangle^{(0)} [/tex]

[tex] E_n(\alpha) - \sum_m |c_{nm}|^2 E_m^{(0)} = \alpha \sum_p c_{np} M_{np} [/tex]

And here I am stuck:
- [itex] E_n(\alpha) [/itex] doesn't have a factor [itex] c_{nm} [/itex]
- [itex] E_m^{(0)} [/itex] is still a summation and has a factor of [itex] |c_{nm}|^2 [/itex] instead of [itex] c_{nm}[/itex]
- I have [itex] M_{np} [/itex] instead of [itex] M_{mp} [/itex]
- The p's are eigenstates of [itex] H_0 [/itex] and not of [itex] H [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
barefeet said:
The Schrodinger equation in these notations becomes
[tex] \left\{ E_n(\alpha) - E_m^{(0)} \right\}c_{nm} = \alpha \sum_p c_{np} M_{mp} [/tex]
With
[tex] M_{nm} = \langle n \mid \hat{H'} \mid m \rangle [/tex]

In the last expression for ##M_{nm}##, should there be superscripts (0) on the n and m states?

I am assuming that as well, it is not specifically stated in the textbook.
In my derivation it is, but my equation isn't the same anyway, so that doesn't help much
But only on the ket vector not the bra vector

barefeet said:
The only thing I can think of is to use the first equation and let both sides be sandwiched between an eigenstate [itex] \mid n \rangle [/itex] of the operator [itex] \hat{H} [/itex]

[tex]\langle n \mid \hat{H} \mid n \rangle = \langle n \mid \hat{H_0} \mid n \rangle + \alpha \langle n \mid \hat{H'} \mid n \rangle [/tex]

Try looking at [tex]^{(0)} \! \langle m\mid \hat{H} \mid n \rangle [/tex] where the m state is an eigenstate of H(0) and the n state is an eigenstate of H.

Yes I got it, but only if there are superscripts for the matrix elements. I tried this before but the absence of superscripts threw me off. I guess they must be eigenstates of the unperturbed state otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Thanks

OK. Sounds good.

What is time independent perturbation theory?

Time independent perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to solve for the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates of a quantum system when a small perturbation is added to the original Hamiltonian. It allows for the analysis of the effects of small changes on the overall system without having to solve the entire system from scratch.

How is time independent perturbation theory used?

Time independent perturbation theory is used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of systems in which a small perturbation is present. It allows for the calculation of the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system with the perturbation included, and can also be used to calculate other properties such as transition probabilities and expectation values.

What are the assumptions of time independent perturbation theory?

The main assumption of time independent perturbation theory is that the perturbation is small compared to the original Hamiltonian. Additionally, it assumes that the perturbation is time independent, meaning it does not change with time. Finally, it assumes that the original system can be solved without the perturbation present.

What are the limitations of time independent perturbation theory?

One limitation of time independent perturbation theory is that it is only applicable to small perturbations. If the perturbation is too large, the results obtained from perturbation theory may not be accurate. Additionally, it assumes that the perturbation is time independent, so it cannot be used for systems with time-varying perturbations.

How does time independent perturbation theory differ from time dependent perturbation theory?

Time independent perturbation theory is used to solve for the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system with a small, time-independent perturbation. Time dependent perturbation theory, on the other hand, is used for systems with time-varying perturbations. It can also be used to study the dynamics of a system, rather than just the energy levels and wavefunctions.