1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order Perturbation Theory - QM

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The ground state energy of the 1D harmonic oscillator with angular frequency ##\omega## is ##E_0 = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}##. The angular frequency is perturbed by a small amount ##\delta \omega##. Use first order perturbation theory to estimate the ground state energy of the perturbed system.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have calculated the energy shift, but I don't think my units make sense.

My perturbation: ##\Delta V(x) = V(x) - V_0(x)##, where ##V_0(x)## is my unperturbed potential. ##V(x) = \frac{m (\omega + \delta \omega)^2 x^2}{2} = \frac{mx^2}{2} (\omega^2 + \delta \omega^2 + 2 \omega \delta \omega)##.

##\Delta V(x) = \frac{m x^2}{2} (\delta \omega^2 + 2 \omega \delta \omega)##

From first order perturbation theory, ##\Delta E_n^{(1)} = \langle \Delta V \rangle ^{(0)}_n## i.e the first order correction to the energy is the expectation value of the perturbation in the unperturbed state.

Using the ground state wave function for the harmonic oscillator ##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} e^{-\frac{m \omega x^2}{\hbar}}## I calculate the expectation value of the perturbation.

##\langle \Delta V \rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \psi* \Delta V \psi##

I'm skipping the details of this integral, but I find that it is equal to ##\langle \Delta V \rangle = \frac{m}{2} (\delta \omega^2 + 2 \omega \delta \omega)##.

This doesn't seem right to me as it does not have units of energy. Have I made a mistake in my reasoning, or does the error likely lie in how I have evaluated that integral? If it's the latter, I can try to find the error myself.

Thanks for reading!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You made a mistake in the integration. Be careful that you don't forget the normalization constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted