1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbed Hamiltonian and its affect on the eigenvalues

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ps4 QM.PNG

2. Relevant equations

$$E_n^{(2)}=\sum_{k\neq n}\frac{|H_{kn}'|^2}{E_n^{(0)}-e_k^{(0)}}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure where to start here. The question doesn't give any information about the unperturbed Hamiltonian. Some guidance on the direction would be great! Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by writing out ##H_T = H_0 + H'##, where ##H_T## is the total Hamiltonian, the matrix of which is given in the question, ##H_0## the unperturbed Hamiltonian whose elements do not contain ##\lambda##, and ##H'## the perturbation term which is proportional to ##\lambda##.

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    Hi blue_leaf! Thanks for that, I just realised that I interpreted the question wrong. I thought the matrix given was only the unperturbed Hamiltonian.

So I have separated it into its un/pertrubed matrices. I just don't think I understand what the question is asking, when it says the change in eigenvalues.

##E_1\approx E_1^{(0)}+E_1^{(1)}+E_1^{(2)}##
    ##~~~~~=E_0+0-\frac{4}{7}E_0\lambda^2##

##E_2\approx E_2^{(0)}+E_2^{(1)}+E_2^{(2)}##
    ##~~~~~=8E_0+0+\frac{4}{7}E_0\lambda^2##

##E_3\approx E_3^{(0)}+E_3^{(1)}+E_3^{(2)}##
    ##~~~~~=3E_0+E_0\lambda+0##

##E_4\approx E_4^{(0)}+E_4^{(1)}+E_4^{(2)}##
    ##~~~~~=7E_0+0+0##

So are the changes in the eigenvalues ##-\frac{4}{7}E_0\lambda^2,~\frac{4}{7}E_0\lambda^2,~E_0\lambda \text{ and } 0## respectively ?

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the full expressions of the new energies are what the questions asks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted