Petr Horava's quantum Gravity ( without strings)

In summary, Petr Horava attempts to start at this paper a small quantum gravity theory, like Loop Quantum Gravity, except that he, according to his words:"In analogy with Yang-Mills, we are motivated to look for a “small” theory of quantum gravity in 3+1 dimensions, decoupled from strings. One attempt to construct such a “small”theory is offered by loop quantum gravity. In this paper, we present a new strategy for addressing this problem. Compared to the previous approaches to quantum gravity, the novelty of our approach is that it takes advantage of theoretical concepts developed in recent decades in condensed matter physics, in particular in the theory of quantum critical phenomena."I
MTd2
Gold Member
Petr Horava attempts to start at this paper a small quantum gravity theory, like Loop Quantum Gravity, except that he, according to his words:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.3775v1

"In analogy with Yang-Mills, we are motivated to look for a “small” theory of quantum gravity in 3+1 dimensions, decoupled from strings. One attempt to construct such a “small”
theory is offered by loop quantum gravity. In this paper, we present a new strategy for addressing this problem. Compared to the previous approaches to quantum gravity, the novelty of our approach is that it takes advantage of theoretical concepts developed in recent decades in condensed matter physics, in particular in the theory of quantum critical phenomena."

I haven't yet read the paper, but I am really surprised he didn't use any string theory for that! :eek:

Perhaps that can be embended in string theory, but nonetheless, he didn't even adressed that in the conclusion. For those who don't know Petr Horava, he is one of the greatest string theorists.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have forgoted to put the link...

Ok, I posted the link :)

Check out Lubos' review of this idea. Because it was written by a string theorist, he doesn't bash it outright.

http://motls.blogspot.com/2009/01/horava-lifgarbagez-cotton-and-uv-general.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I don't know if you follow my philospophical mumbles in this very subforum, but I think that non diffeoformism in 4 manifolds and lorentz violation causes QM to emerge from gravity and ghosts. It doesn't make sense, and surely sounds insane and crackpot to extreme. But I think if I set up a few things, perhapes related to condensed matter, that makes this something more like natural. I liked that article, because it makes me vaguely remember these ideas...

There's another:

Lorentz symmetry breaking as a quantum field theory regulator
3 Feb 2009
http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.0590

These are going to be big, I think.

This Matt Visser is one of my favorites right now. He is studying Black Hole mimickers, such as fuzzy spheres of string theory or one of the proposals of mimickers from Ashtekar, which I think are the realistic stellar objects, instead of black holes.

This is something I've been thinking because I never considered the usual solutions for GR as the true final state of any matter colapse (although the usual solutions are nearly perfect, almost undistinguishible from mimickers), given that, in the moment in which the even horizon "eats" the star, by considering a star as a continuous object, ignores the fact that particles are still there and they are still discrete objects. And there is the problem, that I see, of the dicotomy between the infinite/finite particle to add itself into a black hole, and which also ignores the fate of the universe (and the black hole), from the point of view of an infalling particle, before it crosses the horizon.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.4365
http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.0346

Maybe one of the things Matt has in mind, not cited in the article, by using this new Horava model, would be finding fuzzy spheres without resourting to String Theory.

MTd2 said:
Hmm, I don't know if you follow my philospophical mumbles in this very subforum, but I think that non diffeoformism in 4 manifolds and lorentz violation causes QM to emerge from gravity and ghosts.

You believe it or you've shown it? Because, you know, there's a difference...

BenTheMan said:
You believe it or you've shown it? Because, you know, there's a difference...
I thought it was clear that I believe that...

1. What is Petr Horava's quantum gravity theory without strings?

Petr Horava's quantum gravity theory without strings is a proposed theory of gravity that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity without the use of strings. It suggests that space and time are not fundamental but rather emerge from underlying building blocks, known as "quanta".

2. How does Horava's theory differ from string theory?

Horava's theory differs from string theory in that it does not rely on the concept of strings as the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Instead, it proposes a more fundamental theory based on "quanta" that can explain the emergence of space and time.

3. What are the implications of Horava's theory for the concept of time?

One of the major implications of Horava's theory is that time may not be a continuous and fundamental aspect of the universe. Instead, it may emerge from the underlying building blocks and have a discrete nature. This challenges our traditional understanding of time and could potentially have profound implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. Has Horava's theory been tested or proven?

At this time, Horava's theory remains a theoretical proposal and has not been tested or proven. It is still an area of active research and there is ongoing debate and experimentation to try to validate or refute its claims.

5. How does Horava's theory address the problem of singularities in general relativity?

One of the potential advantages of Horava's theory is that it may provide a solution to the problem of singularities in general relativity. By incorporating quantum mechanics and a fundamental scale into the theory, it may be able to avoid the infinite densities and breakdown of classical physics that occur at singularities.