Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pf Photo Contest - Play It Again Sam! (5/19-5/25)

1. May 19, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Play It Again Sam

There are so many incredible pictures that didn't win in a prior contest, that I have decided they should get another chance. So, this weeks contest is for any previously submitted photo that did not win First, Second, or Third place in the FINAL round. Placing in a runoff doesn't count against you, if you didn't win in the FINAL, you can enter the picture. :uhh: I'm probably in big trouble now. :redface:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Great idea! :biggrin: Is Zz already gone so he won't see what you're up to? :rofl:

4. May 19, 2007 #3

Evo

He pm'd me and said I was in charge. :uhh:

Let's hope he doesn't see this until he gets back. :bugeye:

5. May 19, 2007 #4

aaah this is so confusing, now I don't know what to do! :rofl:

lol rule number 9 should probably be omitted from this one.

6. May 19, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rule #9 means don't confuse Evo by posting pictures that aren't entries in the contest. :wink:

7. May 19, 2007 #6
    that makes sense. Either that, or everyone who enters this contest is automatically disqualified :biggrin:

I like the idea though, some of my favorite pictures haven't won. maybe this time they will. I hope they get posted... like the one in the eraser contest, I can't remember who's it was.

8. May 19, 2007 #7

Astronuc

:rofl: Does that include the disqualified photos - too? :biggrin:

9. May 19, 2007 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm still here (I won't be gone till the 25th). But I still think this is a great idea.

I have to dig out all of the pictures I submitted that didn't even make it to the final rounds.

Zz.

10. May 19, 2007 #9
    yea, does it include disqualified ones? because my favorite picture I submitted got disqualified because it didn't quite fit the guidelines.

11. May 19, 2007 #10

Evo

If you mean Moonbear's Disqualified thread that never entered, that might be another contest, but a great idea. For now, we will limit it to actual entries that didn't win.

Phew, I was hoping you'd agree. :redface: I think a lot of great photos need recognition.

12. May 20, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like this idea, especially since some contests had so many great photos they all deserved to win. Then again, my losers still won't stand a chance. I'll look through them though, just in case I think one is worth a second chance.

13. May 20, 2007 #12
    This is going to be reaallly tough. We aren't going to have a common parameter to base our judgement on. On second thought, that sounds like fun! :biggrin:

14. May 20, 2007 #13
    Its a great idea indeed, unfortunately the only picture I ever entered won 2nd place :-(.

15. May 20, 2007 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whatever happened to the concept 'It's not the winning, but the taking part that is important'? Let's see what happens..

16. May 20, 2007 #15
    That concept entered a competition of realistic concepts and lost.

It did get the "c'mon, who are you kidding" honorary mention ribbon though.

17. May 20, 2007 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So far there's a lot of talk but no submission! :)

So I'll start. This was the picture I submitted in the Water, Water, Everywhere contest. I thought it was one of the better picture that I have taken, but it didn't even place. So here it is again (probably will suffer the same fate).

[​IMG]

Zz.

18. May 20, 2007 #17

Evo

Ooooh, I like that!!! I must have missed it before.

19. May 20, 2007 #18

Mk

I must have missed it before too!

20. May 20, 2007 #19

Mk

I liked this one, of ferrofluid over two overlapping magnetic fields (one responsible for the spikes, and the other for the dome), submitted to the close-up picture contest.
    [​IMG]

21. May 20, 2007 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My non-winning photos have no chance against the ones I know are out there (especially with the first two entries already posted), but in the spirit of fun, I liked this one I submitted for the "When you wish upon a star" contest.

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?