PF5 Problems and Errors

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just cleared my cookies and cache in Firefox under Windows 10 and had no problems with the "like" icons

Klystron

Gold Member
I just cleared my cookies and cache in Firefox under Windows 10 and had no problems with the "like" icons
I'll try that again after disabling a recent Firefox add-on. Thanks for the info.

[Edit: clearing cache cookies and restarting Firefox fixed the icons. Also found a problem with my touch screen. Touch pad (read mouse) works fine. Thanks.]

Last edited:
Is there some minimum amount of posts required before a new user is allowed to send private messages? I seem to remember a restriction on new members sending private messages after some users were getting spam from new accounts. If your test account is new, this may be the source of the problem.
The test account is old and can send messages. It sees the send message icon in the "about" tab for some users but not for others, and I don't find a pattern in it.

The test account is old and can send messages. It sees the send message icon in the "about" tab for some users but not for others, and I don't find a pattern in it.
PM me the account

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
@Greg Bernhardt I got some weird errors a few moments earlier:

PF Post reply.png

PF Alerts.png

Pictures posted in threads appear to be broken too.

Are you doing a scheduled maintenance job?

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I'm getting server errors on any search.

Klystron

Gold Member
I like the confirm on Like. But (I think) it temporarily only allowed Like reaction.

Cool as Grunts! As my old Army friend used to say, experimenting in real time :cool:

Klystron

Gold Member
Admins,

Recent odd PF behaviour. Noticed my Alert preferences were changing w/o my input. Alert text now vanishing leaving only list of numerical tags. Logged out and cleared Firefox cache, etc.

When attempting to log back in I momentarily 'became' a new member with email jameswirth24 (?). I tried to post a troubleshooting post but the system asked me to log in. Now I am logged in correctly as Klystron.

Months ago before PF5 upgrade I 'became' another member under similar circumstances but immediately logged off. Admin (Mike?) asked me to post next time this happened but this time the system seemed to realize I was not the new member when I tried to post. Transitory glitch?

Alerts working now but cannot adjust Preferences for alerts. Example: reading one alert marks all read. Thanks.

There was some issue with certain files bring sent from the CDN. Really odd because the CDN techs couldn't reproduce. I am now sending the files from the sever and the problems end.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Problem seen in sign-in for about a day or so. Not currently seeing the problem right now. sometimes attempting to sign in gives me some of PF pages not showing me as signed in while others do show me as signed in. When I do see the problem, signing in attempt gives me a new PAGE on which to enter username & password; when I do not see the problem, signing in attempt gives me the DIALOG sign-in BOX on top of current page window. As just said, not seeing the problem at this moment.

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Klystron

Gold Member
I'm dealing with a host of issues at the moment. Please stay patient.
Social/recreational media implies absolutely NO rush; was kinda scratching my head for a bit.
PF attracts a cadre* of computer science types. The appeal for patience was likely to foreclose those sensitive helpful members attempting to aid Administration by reporting and reiterating perceived glitches. I imagine retired data center directors and FORTRAN coders are among the worst offenders most helpful members.

*Pun intended if you know some Common Lisp.

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I have discovered a very nice new feature in a user's profile. "Post Areas", which is a statistics of number of posts (I assume valid, i.e. not deleted from visible/deleted threads) per user per subforum. I cannot trace all 12934 counted posts + the ones uncounted for, but a healthy 12000 ones, while for MFB i could read 25000 posts distributed to which subforum they were made in, out of more than 32000 visible and accounted for.
Greg, do you have some extra details you may wish to add?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I have discovered a very nice new feature in a user's profile. "Post Areas", which is a statistics of number of posts (I assume valid, i.e. not deleted from visible/deleted threads) per user per subforum.
I shouldn't have seen this. Now the wave function has collapsed and I know that I will have to constrain my jokes in GD 😭

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
After all this time still confused about the alerts. I still have a backlog from a holiday period, but I'd like to mark the "Your recent report has been resolved:" alerts as read to get them off the list. No way to do that ? All I can find is "Mark ALL as read" -- but I don't want that: I'd have to "Mark as unread" the vast majority again, one by one, by hand :mad:

I still have a backlog from a holiday period, but I'd like to mark the "Your recent report has been resolved:" alerts as read to get them off the list. No way to do that ?
Viewed alerts will remain on the list page for 48h. Viewed alerts will remain in the popup for 6h.