1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ph.D. Systems Engineering at CSU

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    What do you guys think of this program at Colorado State University? I have a BS Math, and I'm working on an MA Math. Professionally, I've been working as a seismic processing geophysicist for just shy of two and a half years now. I might fall under the "applicable master's" category which would mean that I would have to take only six courses and then do the dissertation. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive and I'm not an executive which is for whom it says the program was designed.

http://www.online.colostate.edu/degrees/systems-engineering-phd/requirements-and-curriculum.dot

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2
    That looks pretty hokey to me! Rather like a mail-order PhD.

If the degree is all you want (initials after your name), then by all means do it. If you really want to learn something, I think I would pass on this one.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    Oh, wow. I was wondering if CSU had a good reputation. Well, it does say it's for "top executives," so maybe buying the initials is really the purpose. I'll keep looking. I'll be happy with my MA, but if I find an interesting PhD program that would minimize my course load by transferring much of my MA, then I would consider it. It may be a pipe dream, though.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook