1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pharmacology graduate considering Medical Physics advice

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    Hello everybody. I graduated a few years ago with an MS in pharmacology. However, after two jobs where I did not get positions doing what I wanted to do, I am looking at what options I have for graduate school. For those of you who do not know the drug industry that well, you need to have a Phd/MD or PharmD (pharmacist degree) in order to get a respectable position. Otherwise, you are pretty much considered disposable in the job market. I have an interest in getting a PharmD, but it is limited as I not that strongly attracted to being a retail or clinical pharmacist that much. So to sum things up, I am basically looking for career options that are outside of the pharma/biotech world.

And thus, I stumbled across the world of medical physics, which seems to be a really interesting field utilizing analytical technologies. Since I'm working as a analytical chemist right now, I have to say that I am attracted to the thought of working with unique technologies, and I feel that I have the capability to handle this type of work. But at this time I am still researching the field to really see if it is worth it for me.

I noticed that most programs want the GRE, Calc 1+2+3, Physics 1+2, Chem 1+2, Bio 1+2, Diff EQ, Modern Physics, Electricity and Magnetism, and some other upper level class. I could apply but I have not taken the GREs, which I probably will soon. However, in order to be considered, I need to take Calc 3, diff eq, modern physics, electricity and magnetism, and another upper level physics course. I want to ask those of you on here: is it possible for me to take such classes part time in the evenings, or online? I currently have a job and my preference is to keep it - would I have to leave to take such courses?

Secondly, another thing that I should point out is that I took algebra-based physics 1+2 back in undergrad. Is this going to be a problem with admissions or with handling the upper level physics coursework?

I've laid out my entire situation here - can anybody here provide me with some feedback? I want to know if medical physics is a real possibility for me or not. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2
    I cannot speak about graduate school and what your options are but I can speak about physics. Taking algebra based physics is not the same as taking calculus based physics. I would find it nearly impossible if not impossible to study upper level physics without calculus. I would say with 99% certainty you will have trouble with upper level physics without knowing introductory physics that is based off of calculus.
  4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the input. It seems that I need to spend a good year completing a retake of Calc-physics 1+2 along with the other courses I am missing just to be even considered for medical physics. This will make things pretty interesting.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?