Phase shifts for a localized Coulomb and harmonic potential

In summary, when struggling with finding phase shifts in a localized sphere of coulomb and harmonic potential, it is not recommended to use the power series method to solve the radial Schrodinger equation. Instead, a more adequate and straightforward approach is to use the confluent hypergeometric function and generalized Laguerre polynomial to find the solutions for both cases. Then, the appropriate boundary conditions can be applied by matching the logarithmic derivatives at the matching point to solve for the phase shifts. It is also important to consider the regular solutions at the origin for the wave function in the region ##r<a##.
phywithAK
Homework Statement
Finding the phase shifts for a localized coulomb and harmonic potential.
Relevant Equations
V(r)={
-μ/r ; r<a (where μ is a constant)

0 ; r>a
}
and
V(r)={
(1/2)k*r^2 ; r<a

0 ; r>a
}
I am struggling over a problem and i could really use some help in this.
So it's about finding phase shifts in a localized sphere of coulomb and harmonic potential. I tried solving the radial Schrodinger equation for both of them by using power series method, but still i am having problem finding the phase shifts or at least i am not confident enough if i am going the right way or is there a better approach. I would really appreciate if anyone help me by throwing some light on this or at least on the solution of the equation for a finite range.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

First of all, it would be nice to see explicitly your attempt of the solution. However, I don't think that you should use the power series method to solve the Radial Schroedinger equation at ##r<a##. In this approach, the problem arises once you impose boundary conditions.

NOTE: I will assume that ##\mu>0##.This is one way, maybe more adequate and straightforward, to get phase shifts:

As always, for spherical systems, the radial Schroedinger equation is the starting point:
$$ -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}\ +\ \frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\ -\ \frac{\ell(\ell+1)}{r^2}\right)\psi(r)\ +\ V(r)\psi(r)\ =\ E\,\psi(r)\ ,\qquad\ell=0,1,2,...$$

For both cases (a localized sphere of coulomb and harmonic potential) the potential ##V(r)## vanishes at ##r>a##, and the previous equation becomes exactly solvable. In this domain (II), the solutions are well-known:
$$\psi_\ell^{II}(r)\ =\ C_{\ell}(k)\left[j_\ell(kr)\ -\ \tan\delta_{\ell}(k)\,n_\ell(kr)\right]\ ,\qquad k\ =\ \sqrt{2mE/\hbar^2}\qquad (r>a)$$
where ##C_\ell(k)## is a constant (r-idenpendent), and ##\delta_{\ell}(k)## the phase shifts.

Now, the situation inside the region ##r<a## looks complicated, but it is not. For those potentials you are working with, solutions are given in terms of the confluent hypergeometric function or something related. You just have to look for the regular solutions at the origin ##(r=0)##.For example, if ##V(r)=-\dfrac{\mu}{r}## then, the general solution for the wave function looks like

$$\psi^{I}_\ell(r)\ =\ e^{-i k r} r^l \left(A_\ell(k)\,U\left(\kappa,\nu,2 i k r\right)+B_\ell(k)\,L_{-\kappa}^{\nu}(2 i k r)\right),\qquad (r<a)$$
where
$$ \kappa = \ell+1+\frac{i k \mu }{2 E }\ ,\qquad \nu\ =\ 2\ell+1\ ,$$
while ##U## and ##L## are the confluent hypergeometric function and generalized Laguerre polynomial, respectively. (I asked Mathematica for the solution).

When ##r \rightarrow 0## the wave function ##\psi^{I}(r)## must remain finite, then we have to set ##A_\ell(k)=0##: ##U## diverges at ##r=0##.

So, you have the solution for ## (r<a)##.

The next step is to use the appropriate boundary conditions: continuous wave function as well as its derivative at the matching point. The straightforward way to guarantee the fulfillment of both conditions is by matching the logarithmic derivatives at ##r=a##:

$$
\frac{\partial_r\psi^{I}(a)}{\psi^{I}(a)}\ =\ \frac{\partial_r\psi^{II}(a)}{\psi^{II}(a)}
\ .$$
Finally, you solve for ##\delta_\ell##.

A similar approach should work for the harmonic potential.

1. What is a phase shift in the context of a localized Coulomb and harmonic potential?

A phase shift refers to the change in the phase of a wave as it passes through a potential barrier or well. In the case of a localized Coulomb and harmonic potential, this refers to the change in the phase of the wave function of a particle as it moves through the potential.

2. How does a phase shift affect the behavior of a particle in a localized Coulomb and harmonic potential?

A phase shift can cause interference effects in the wave function of a particle, leading to changes in its energy and momentum. This can result in the particle being either reflected or transmitted through the potential barrier or well.

3. What factors can influence the magnitude of a phase shift in a localized Coulomb and harmonic potential?

The magnitude of a phase shift can be influenced by the strength of the potential, the energy of the particle, and the shape of the potential barrier or well. It can also be affected by the mass and charge of the particle.

4. How is a phase shift experimentally measured in a localized Coulomb and harmonic potential?

A phase shift can be experimentally measured by studying the interference patterns of a wave function as it passes through the potential barrier or well. This can be done using techniques such as scattering experiments or tunneling microscopy.

5. What are the practical applications of studying phase shifts in localized Coulomb and harmonic potentials?

Understanding phase shifts in localized Coulomb and harmonic potentials is important in many fields, including quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and materials science. It can also have practical applications in designing electronic devices and studying the behavior of particles in nanoscale systems.