Phase space path integrals

In summary: No, because the path integral vanishes if the momenta are not fixed at the final positions. In fact, in general the path integral is always zero if the momenta are not fixed at the final positions.
Intrastellar
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a summary of phase space path integrals and answers to followup questions.
I have heard of phase space path integrals, but couldn't find anything in Wikipedia about it, so I am wondering, what does it compute ? In particular, are the endpoints points of definite position and momentum? If so, how does one convert them to quantum states ? Also, how is it related to wigner function ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe my short intro to quantum-mechanical path integrals in my QFT notes can help:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

The phase-space path integral is the one where you integrate over the trajectories in phase space, i.e., the version of the path integral using the Hamiltonian version of the action and before integrating over the momenta. The latter in many cases leads to a path-integral formula where you integrate over trajectories in configuration space only, and the action in the exponent is in the Lagrange form.

The latter version is nice for relativistic QFT since the Lagrangian formalism for fields is manifestly covariant.

Thank you for the answer. How is the phase space path integral related to the wigner function?

As an elaboration, the phase space path integral can be cut into pieces made up of an endpoint having a specific position and momentum, and even though the cut pieces wouldn't inherently have a physical meaning. Wigner function is also a function which assigns numbers to specific position and momenta, so I was wondering whether they were related

In the Hamilton principle of least action, formulated in the Hamiltonian way as variations in phase space the momenta are not fixed at the final positions. That's understandable from the path-integral method, because there you want to calculate the propagator in position space, ##\langle x,t|x',t' \rangle##, where ##|x,t \rangle## are the position eigenvectors in the Heisenberg picture. That's why in the path integral you integrate over all paths connecting the fixed points ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{x}'## in configuration space, but the integrals over the trajectories in momentum space are unrestricted. In my derivation that becomes clear, because there the path integral is derived from the usual Dirac bra-ket formalism through introduction of completeness relations with position and momentum eigenvectors.

Sure, but can't you write the path integral as a sum of parts where each part has the final momenta fixed ?

Do you possibly run into problems with ordering the path integral if you do that?

1. What is a phase space path integral?

A phase space path integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in a given amount of time. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take, rather than just the most likely path.

2. How is a phase space path integral different from a regular path integral?

A regular path integral only considers the position of a particle at different points in time, while a phase space path integral also takes into account the momentum of the particle at each point in time. This allows for a more complete description of the particle's movement.

3. What is the significance of using a phase space path integral?

Using a phase space path integral allows for a more accurate calculation of the probability of a particle's movement, as it takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take. This is especially useful in quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles can be unpredictable.

4. How is a phase space path integral calculated?

A phase space path integral is calculated by breaking down the time interval into smaller segments and calculating the probability of the particle's movement for each segment. These probabilities are then multiplied together to get the overall probability of the particle's movement from the starting point to the ending point.

5. What are some applications of phase space path integrals?

Phase space path integrals have many applications in physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and field theory. They are used to calculate the behavior of particles in various systems, such as the movement of electrons in a magnetic field or the behavior of atoms in a gas. They are also used in engineering and finance for modeling complex systems.