1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase space trajectory question

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    In my lecture they give the phase space picture for a simple pendulum
    http://mathematicalgarden.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/pendulum-portrait3.png?w=500&h=195

and then say that adjacent trajectories never diverge and therefore evolution is predictable. I wanted to ask, is the statement that adjacent trajectories never diverge just a consequesnce of the fact that motion of the simple pendulum is predictable, i.e. a small variation in initial conditions will not produce totally different trajectory. Or am I just being stupid and the answer is diferent?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    Suppose two phase space paths for the pendulum crossed at a point in phase space. At that point the total energy for the two paths is the same, E = T + V. But if the paths diverge then the total energy can no longer be constant, but the total energy for an ideal pendulum is constant.

Does that fly for you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook