Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD Applications - Worry about email replies!

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    I live in the UK and I am hoping to start a PhD next October, so currently I am emailing potential supervisors about projects which I usually start off with a cover letter and a CV, however I don't seem to be getting any replies back! This includes some professors who I have emailed before sending them the CV email and they always seem quick to get back to me and it has been nearly a week (I wrote a big batch last mon/tues).

So people who have been through PhD applications, is this normal or do I need to start thinking of tactful ways of following these up without being too annoying :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    It is pretty normal. Most professors have a lot on their plate, and get many e-mails (some spurious or from candidates who don't have a shot at getting in to their school) this time of year.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    a professor told me he gets 100 emails about phd postition or postdoc from india and iran per week.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4
    Man, I can't even get my professors to respond to me, let alone ones from other unis.

Undergrads are something less than human.

try CCing a lot of people into the email. They might answer if they think oter people are watching.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook