1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD Applications - Worry about email replies!

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    I live in the UK and I am hoping to start a PhD next October, so currently I am emailing potential supervisors about projects which I usually start off with a cover letter and a CV, however I don't seem to be getting any replies back! This includes some professors who I have emailed before sending them the CV email and they always seem quick to get back to me and it has been nearly a week (I wrote a big batch last mon/tues).

So people who have been through PhD applications, is this normal or do I need to start thinking of tactful ways of following these up without being too annoying :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    It is pretty normal. Most professors have a lot on their plate, and get many e-mails (some spurious or from candidates who don't have a shot at getting in to their school) this time of year.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    a professor told me he gets 100 emails about phd postition or postdoc from india and iran per week.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4
    Man, I can't even get my professors to respond to me, let alone ones from other unis.

Undergrads are something less than human.

try CCing a lot of people into the email. They might answer if they think oter people are watching.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook