PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between two departments with good programs and research opportunities, namely Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering. The speaker is concerned about job prospects after graduation and wonders if a PhD in Applied Physics is viewed equally as a PhD in EE in the industry or academia. They also mention the differences between the two fields, with Applied Physics being more related to semiconductors and EE focusing on signal processing. The speaker seeks advice on how to make a decision as they cannot switch paths once chosen.
vron247
Am still not clear which path to choose. Both departments got good program and research. I have admission from both departments.

Am bit worried from job point of view after graduation. Do industry/academia treat PhD Applied physics equal to EE for job offers? To give more insight if I choose applied physics I will be working in semicondutor material research and in EE it will be signal processing.

Once I choose a path there is no going back. Any pointers in this direction will be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an electrical engineering major, I have to say that semiconductors and signal processing are very different fields. Rather than think about what PhD degree is "better", think about which of these fields of study you are more interested in. Semiconductors will have a lot more to do with physics and possibly materials science, and signal processing is more related to math and computer science. Just to give you some idea of what I mean, I'm concentrating heavily in signal processing for my undergraduate degree, and most of my classes involve a lot of programming (usually in Matlab) and a lot of math (usually linear algebra).

1. What is a PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg?

A PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg is an advanced degree that focuses on the application of physics principles and concepts to real-world problems in the field of electrical engineering. It combines theoretical knowledge with practical skills to train students in conducting research and developing innovative solutions in various industries.

2. What are the requirements for getting a PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's and master's degree in a related field, strong academic background, letters of recommendation, and a competitive GRE score. They may also need to submit a research proposal and pass an entrance exam.

3. What career opportunities are available for PhD holders in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg?

Graduates with a PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg can pursue careers in various industries, including telecommunications, renewable energy, aerospace, biomedical engineering, and more. They can work as research scientists, engineers, consultants, or professors in academia.

4. What skills are needed for a successful PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg?

To excel in a PhD program in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg, students need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They should also have a passion for research, attention to detail, and excellent communication and teamwork abilities.

5. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg?

The duration of a PhD program in Applied Physics or Electrical Engg can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This time may be longer if the student is conducting extensive research or has other commitments. It is also important to note that the time to completion may vary depending on the individual's progress and the requirements of the program.