Philosophy/Economics Major interested in Physics/Comp Sci PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter 123ABCine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major Phd
In summary, the person is a new member to a forum and is questioning whether they can pursue a PhD in physics or computer science without having any background in those subjects during their undergraduate studies. They have a degree in economics and philosophy and have secured a job in investment banking after graduation. They have developed an interest in physics and computer science and are wondering if their lack of undergraduate courses in those subjects will affect their chances of getting into graduate school. They also ask if their two years of experience in investment banking will have any impact on their application. They are seeking advice on what steps they would need to take if they do decide to apply for graduate school in physics or computer science.
123ABCine
Hi

I am completely new to this forum.

My basic question is whether it would be possible for me to pursue a PhD in physics or something like comp sci having never taken either of these subjects undergrad (I studied Philosophy and Economics).

About Me:

I am about to graduate from a top US university having studied economics and philosophy. While my courses in economics and finance are quantitative, I haven't taken any upper lever math or statistics classes. My work in philosophy has been fairly general, but I particularly like thinking about things like the problem of induction and causality. I have close to perfect grades.

I have secured one of the top jobs in investment banking for after I graduate and signed a 2 year contract.

I have become very interested in physics and computer science. I have never taken a course in either of these subjects but have been learning on my own.

At this point I am just wondering if I decide that the financial world is for me, whether it is possible for me to go to graduate school in a subject that like physics or computer science that I did not take a single course in during my undergrad. My transcript and recommendations can attest to the fact that I am smart, but will my lack of undergraduate courses in these subjects automatically disqualify me?

Will the fact that I spent 2 years at a respected wall street firm have any bearing on my application (if I decide to apply)?

While it is unlikely that I will end up doing this, if I decide to apply what would I need to do? Would I need to take lots of math and physics at a community college or state school to show that I am interested?

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have been thinking about this for a while and just wanted to see what you all think so that I can put this idea to rest.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the benefit of a philosophy/economics major pursuing a PhD in physics or computer science?

Pursuing a PhD in physics or computer science can provide a unique perspective and skill set to someone with a background in philosophy or economics. Philosophy teaches critical thinking and analytical skills, while economics provides a strong understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts. These skills can be valuable in the fields of physics and computer science, which often require deep analysis and problem-solving abilities.

2. Is it common for someone with a philosophy/economics background to pursue a PhD in physics or computer science?

While it is not the most common path, it is not uncommon for individuals with a philosophy or economics background to pursue a PhD in physics or computer science. These fields are becoming increasingly interdisciplinary, and having a diverse background can be advantageous in research and academia.

3. How can a philosophy/economics major best prepare for a PhD in physics or computer science?

In addition to taking courses in physics and computer science, it is important for a philosophy/economics major to supplement their education with mathematics and programming courses. These skills are essential in both physics and computer science research. It may also be beneficial to seek out research opportunities or internships in these fields to gain hands-on experience and further develop skills.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a PhD in physics or computer science and a background in philosophy/economics?

A PhD in physics or computer science can open up a variety of career opportunities in both industry and academia. With a background in philosophy/economics, individuals may be well-suited for roles in data analysis, research, and consulting. They may also be able to pursue teaching positions in universities or colleges.

5. How can someone with a philosophy/economics background transition into a PhD program in physics or computer science?

The first step would be to research and identify potential PhD programs in physics or computer science that align with your interests and goals. It may also be helpful to reach out to professors or individuals currently pursuing a PhD in these fields to gain insight and advice. Additionally, it is important to carefully review and fulfill any prerequisite courses and application requirements for the program.