Photo Contest - A is for August (8/1-8/7)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Contest Photo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
74 replies · 14K views
Chi Meson said:
Hey, I think it's good. Mt. Adams begins with "A."

And I like the little cloud puff above the summit cairn.

Hum... Now that you mention it, you're right. It is good! So it's IN!

:)

Now where's your picture, Chi Meson?

:)

Zz.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
larkspur said:
Is that http://www.botany.ubc.ca/bryophyte/LAB6b.htm" ?

I don't know (I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to flora). All I know is it's a type of lichen that is really prevalent in the area.

Zz: Thanks for changing your mind, but I removed the image anyway. Maybe it is too subjective. I don't want to be thought a cheater!
No biggie. I'll look for something with a more prominent A displayed! :biggrin:

-GeoMike-
 
Last edited by a moderator:
GeoMike said:
I don't know (I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to flora). All I know is it's a type of lichen that is really prevalent in the area.

Zz: Thanks for changing your mind, but I removed the image anyway. Maybe it is too subjective. I don't want to be thought a cheater!
No biggie. I'll look for something with a more prominent A displayed! :biggrin:

-GeoMike-

You might want to keep it till you find a better one. However, I believe Chi Meson is correct. That was a suitable picture after all.

Zz.
 
chroot said:
Your dog looks like a Jedi.

- Warren

Actually, he is a time lord - Dr. Who

He came right after Tom Baker.
 
appetite (for Agapanthus) :smile:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7927/appetitebz6.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about everyone else, but so far, the pictures for this contest really kick ass!. Wow, people!

Zz.
 
nazzard said:
appetite (for Agapanthus) :smile:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7927/appetitebz6.jpg
[/URL]
Nazzard, are you a professional? That one is amazing!

What lens did you use?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson said:
Nazzard, are you a professional? That one is amazing!

What lens did you use?

Hello Chi Meson,

I'm no professional, it was my first try with a DSLR :redface: ... I'd say the borrowed equipment was though. :wink:

camera body: Canon EOS 5D
lens: EF 28-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS USM

There was no macro-lens in use, it's cropped and only a small fragment of the original picture. But I thought it's still a nice result I'd like to share. :smile:

I'd love to test the body with a telescope, but this will have to wait as I'm leaving Europe for a few weeks...without the camera. :frown:

Regards,

nazzard
 
Acharia stimulea

http://home.comcast.net/~larkspur2020/Acharia_stimulea.jpg

This thing stung me when I got too close with the camera. It was munching on my blueberry bush.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
This thing stung me when I got too close with the camera. It was munching on my blueberry bush.

Oh good grief! The things people are doing just to get pictures for this contest! :)

Just don't put yourself in a dangerous situation, that's all I ask!

Zz.
 
larkspur said:
This thing stung me when I got too close with the camera. It was munching on my blueberry bush.
Yes, this is one of the stinging caterpillars.

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/io_moth.htm
In Florida, the main stinging caterpillars are the io moth (Automeris io (Fabricius), Saturniidae), the saddleback caterpillar (Acharia stimulea (Clemens) [formerly in Sibine], Limacodidae), and the puss caterpillar (Megalopyge opercularis (J.E. Smith), Megalopygidae) (Biery 1977, Zak 1986). All species of Limacodidae and Megalopygidae appear to have urticating larvae.
Best to knock it off into a solution of soapy or salt water - or find a braconid wasp to lay eggs on it.

It is a noxious pest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OH my god, Nazzard and larkspur should photofight! On Sunday, by the flagpole, at 4 o'clock.

Announcer: Wow! Did you just see that picture?
Announcer 2: A 37:50, I haven't seen one of those since Lou Stevens in 1979!
 
Astronuc said:
- find a braconid wasp to lay eggs on it.

I'll go look for one of those now...:biggrin: Would just one do the job?
 
Last edited:
larkspur said:
This thing stung me when I got too close with the camera. It was munching on my blueberry bush.
Careful! We don't want any photo contest casualties here. That is a really cool caterpillar though. I've never seen anything like it!
 
Moonbear said:
Careful! We don't want any photo contest casualties here. That is a really cool caterpillar though. I've never seen anything like it!

I thought it was so cool that it warranted a photo. It was rather small. Less than two cm. There were several of them that I did not see until it was too late. The sting was not bad. Felt like a weak electric charge shooting up my arm.
 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Cup_moth_caterpillar02.jpg
This is an interesting-looking caterpillar.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
This is an interesting-looking caterpillar.

Is this your contest submission? Because if it is, then I don't see the connection with the letter "A", not to mention, it is larger than the maximum size in our rules. If it isn't, then it shouldn't be in this thread.

Zz.
 
OK, so this picture is lame and can't compete with some of those already submitted, but what the hey...

A is for the Argonne Wakefield Accelerator, which you will get to see up close and personal if you come to our Oct. 7th Open House. :)

img0916mi5.jpg


Zz.
 
Gokul43201 said:
Hey Zz, I already took up 'A is for Advertising' ! :wink:

Hey, that's why I did it. I learned it from you!

:)

Zz.
 
Gokul43201 said:
This picture of my department is more of an advertisement than a contest entry! :biggrin:
Did Ohio get a bulk discount on that architecture (or from that architect)? We had a building at Cincinnati that was very similar in appearance in the atrium, and another that was under construction when I left that will also be similar (it's adjacent to the first building, so I figured it was all part of the same architectural plan as part of the overall goal of doing away with the "stick any kind of building anywhere there's space for it" prior look of the campus...when I first got there, it was hard to tell where the city ended and the campus began because it was all the same mish-mash of non-descript buildings). It feels nice to work in a building with a big, modern atrium, but then every time I hear complaints that there's not enough space to recruit in someone new, all I can do is look at that soaring atrium and think "wasted space...that could have been more labs and offices." :rolleyes:
 
Moonbear said:
It feels nice to work in a building with a big, modern atrium, but then every time I hear complaints that there's not enough space to recruit in someone new, all I can do is look at that soaring atrium and think "wasted space...that could have been more labs and offices." :rolleyes:
Fortunately for us, there's neither the money to build more labs/offices nor the money to hire people to occupy them! :rolleyes:
 
Gokul43201 said:
Fortunately for us, there's neither the money to build more labs/offices nor the money to hire people to occupy them! :rolleyes:
Ah, it's always nice to achieve balance. :biggrin:
 
Arms
Should I be surprised that nobody has tried African-American?

Arms2.jpg
 
Thanks, I went through about 30 pictures before I decided on this one. Lots of them had my messy room as a background. Too bad we can't edit those things out!
 
Last edited: