Photo Contest - Back To School (8/17-8/23)

In summary, the theme of the photo contest is "Back To School" and it is open to anyone who follows the rules and guidelines set by the organizers. To submit a photo, one must carefully follow the instructions provided, which may include uploading the photo to a specific website or using a hashtag. The rules for submitting multiple photos vary, so it is important to check before submitting. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges or through a voting system and will be announced on the designated date set by the organizers.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Back To School

For many parts of the world, this is the time where children and teens go back to school, and young men and women go back to college. So our theme this week involves schools and universities. Your photo must clearly show something that can be easily identified as a scene at a school or college campus.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Does there have to be at school in the picture? For instance if it is a group of kids, not a family, clearly under control of some non-parental authority?

epenguin said:
Does there have to be at school in the picture? For instance if it is a group of kids, not a family, clearly under control of some non-parental authority?

It has to be in a school. The focus is the location, not the people.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It has to be in a school. The focus is the location, not the people.

Zz.
So a photo of my school without kids is ok? It felt weird if I photographed the school yard when there are kids.

fresh_42 said:
So a photo of my school without kids is ok? It felt weird if I photographed the school yard when there are kids.

Yes, that qualifies for this contest.

Zz.

school---1.jpg

Likes JBA and Borg
First I thought I might recycle my old school https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-photo-contest-memory-sticks-2-23-3-1.966782/post-6140131 which fell foul of the pixel police when I submitted it before. But then I thought maybe more emblematic of schools could be the photo I have of the exterior of this French school with its national flags and monument aux enfants morts pour la patrie, or rather, now ex-school. Looking at the handful of pics I thought this unspectacular interior, with only the globe to suggest instruction, but with what you would expect find in any French school, the bust of Marianne, whom I have unfortunately slightly guillotined, and a photo of the President of the Republic.

2qkl6vk.jpg

The corridors will no longer often sound to the chatter of children, as having served a community for probably a good hundred years it has been closed in a rationalisation, and made into a museum of the schools of the larger area. Just noticing while passing by, or possibly having found in a guide, I was received there by the sole custodian in the manner one is at museums that get few visitors.
Despite the mediocrity of the photo you can I hope with good will think it stands for all the French village schools there ever were, to an extent even all the village schools anywhere there ever were. Perhaps we shall see others.

The village is called Chevregny, it is not far from Laon. And if that is equally unknown, to you, that is a lacuna to be profitably filled. I've found the region lovely and always tarried a little there when passing that area as I did over some years. Countryside soul-balming and peaceful, but the latter it was not always and no small number of Morts pour la Patrie rest there for this is the area of the Chemin des Dames WW1 campaign, and the region is dotted with Military Cemeteries.

Last edited:
Final few hours to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

Local elementary school on a sunny day October day.
IMG_0420.jpg

That can't be Boulder; no padding on bars in foreground, no seatbelts on the swings...

What is the purpose of the "Photo Contest - Back To School"?

The purpose of the "Photo Contest - Back To School" is to encourage individuals to take and submit creative photos that capture the essence of going back to school, whether it be through school supplies, first day of school outfits, or school-related activities.

Who can participate in the "Photo Contest - Back To School"?

Anyone can participate in the "Photo Contest - Back To School" as long as they have access to a camera or a camera phone and are able to submit their photo entry before the deadline.

What are the guidelines for submitting a photo entry in the "Photo Contest - Back To School"?

The guidelines for submitting a photo entry in the "Photo Contest - Back To School" include: the photo must be original and not previously submitted to any other contest, it must be school-related, and it must adhere to the theme of going back to school.

How will the winner be chosen for the "Photo Contest - Back To School"?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges who will evaluate all photo entries based on creativity, relevance to the theme, and overall quality of the photo.

What is the prize for the winner of the "Photo Contest - Back To School"?

The prize for the winner of the "Photo Contest - Back To School" will vary depending on the sponsor or organization hosting the contest. It could be a monetary prize, a gift card, or a school-related item.