Photocurrent and frequency of incident light

In summary, the photocurrent in the photoelectric effect is independent of the incident frequency of light after the threshold frequency because the kinetic energy of the electrons is dependent on the wavelength. This was verified by Millikan's experiment, which showed that shorter wavelengths result in greater energy and therefore a greater current. However, it was previously believed that changing the wavelength had no effect on the current. For more information, see the link provided.
ViolentCorpse
Why is photocurrent in the photoelectric effect independent of the incident frequency of light after the threshold frequency? If more frequency means more kinetic energy of electrons, then doesn't that mean that there should be more electrons passing a cross-section of the metal tube per second i.e more current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the kinetic energy of the electrons is dependent on the wavelength, that is how Millikan verified Einstein's relation:

http://www.fisica.net/quantica/millikan_a_direct_photoelectric_determination_of_plancks_h.pdf

Shorter wavelength => greater energy => greater current.

So decreasing the wavelength does increase the current. I thought it had no effect.

I will read that link when I have the time.

Thanks a lot Jano L.!

1. What is photocurrent?

Photocurrent refers to the flow of electrical current that is generated when light (photons) strikes a photosensitive material such as a semiconductor or a photodiode.

2. How is photocurrent related to the frequency of incident light?

The photocurrent is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light. This means that as the frequency of light increases, so does the amount of current generated.

3. How does the intensity of light affect photocurrent?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the photocurrent. However, as the intensity increases, more photons are hitting the photosensitive material, which can lead to an increase in photocurrent.

4. Can the frequency of incident light be changed to alter the photocurrent?

Yes, the frequency of incident light can be changed by using different light sources or by altering the wavelength of the light. This will in turn affect the amount of photocurrent generated.

5. What factors can affect the photocurrent of a photosensitive material?

The photocurrent of a photosensitive material can be affected by various factors such as the intensity and frequency of the incident light, the type and quality of the photosensitive material, and external factors such as temperature and voltage applied to the material.