Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric absorption in semiconductors

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody. I'm new here and, first of all, sorry for my bad english :-D

I'm studying photoelectric absorption in semiconductors.
    The book (and professor too) says that, in the conservation law:

ki + kph = kf

(where ki and kf are wave vectors of initial and final electron state, and kph is the wave vector of incoming photon) we can neglect kph because it is ≈ 2π/λ, whereas ki and kf are ≈ 2π/a, and λ>>a. (a is the length of unitary cell in real space).
    But I think that this assumption is good only if electron is at the edge of Brillouin Zone; if the initial and final electrons are near [itex]\Gamma[/itex]-point, they should have a very little wave vector, comparable with kph, making the approximation not valid.

what is wrong in my words?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

Just do the math once and sketch the photon dispersion (energy versus k) and the electron dispersion (crystal electron or for simplicity even a free one) into the same graph with the correct dimensions. This is pretty instructive and will give you a good argument for why the approximation your professor gave you is a very good one pretty much everywhere.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    So, I think having understood from your words, the key is that the conservation of momentum has to be combined with the conservation of energy?

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Actually, that conservation law is valid only for the in-plane momentum, i.e. parallel to the surface of the material. The out-of-plane momentum is way more complicated than that.

Zz.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5
    I tried to make the following math.
    from energy conservation: Eph≈Egap
    (assuming that initial and final electrons are in proximity of, respectively, the maximum of VB and minimum of CB)

We know that kph = ω/c = Eph/([itex]\hbar[/itex]c)

So, from momentum conservation law:

|kf - ki | = |kph|≈Egap/([itex]\hbar[/itex]c)

Doing the calc (i assumed 1 eV for Egap):
    |kf - ki | ≈ 10-4 angstrom-1, which is about 1 part of thousand of tipical size of Brillouin zone.

Are my reasoning correct to justify the assumpion kph=0 ?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. Feb 3, 2012 #6
    However, I think I made the math more complex than necessary:

ki - kf = kph = [itex]\frac{2π}{λ}\widehat{k}_{ph}[/itex]

(ki - kf) / (size of Brillouin zone) = [itex]\frac{2π}{λ}\frac{a}{2π}\widehat{k}_{ph}[/itex] << 1 [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\widehat{k}_{ph}[/itex]

Thanks to all for the reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook