Photoelectric effect find velocity?

In summary, the problem requires finding the maximum speed of photoelectrons emitted from a metallic surface with work function of 1.20 eV. Using the equation hf = w + Ek, where hf is the photon energy, w is the work function, and Ek is the kinetic energy of the electron, the frequency of the photon is found to be 2.9x10^14 Hz. Using the equation Ek = eV, where e is the elementary charge and V is the retarding potential, the kinetic energy of the electron is found to be 2.56x10^-19 J. Substituting this value into the equation 1/2mv^2 =
Sara077

Homework Statement

Light illuminates a metallic surface with work function of 1.20 eV. It takes 1.0 V of retarding potential to stop all of the photoelectrons from reaching the opposite plate. Find the maximum speed of the photoelectrons.

Homework Equations

hf = w

hf = w + Ek

The Attempt at a Solution

First work function = 1.20eV(1.60x10-19 J/eV) = 1.92x10-19 J

Not really sure how to do this problem... but giving it a go here:

First,

hf = w

f = w/h

f = 1.92x10-19 J / 6.63x10-34 Js

f = 2.9x1014 Hz

Now i got the frequency, i assume i use:
hf = w+ Ek
Ek = hf - w
1/2mv2 = hf - w

Is this correct so far? If yes do i just plug in the numbers and solve for "v" also not really sure what to do with the retarding potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or if the above isn't correct i tried it a different way...

Ek = eV
Ek = (1.60x10-19 C) (1.6V)
Ek = 2.56x10-19 J
^^ Should i subtract the work function from this?

Ek = 1/2mv2
2.56x10-19 J = 1/2 (9.11x10-31 kg (v)2
5.62x1011 Jkg = v2
7.5x105 m/s = v

Is this one correct?? I am just confused

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when light of a certain frequency, or energy, is shone on it.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of an electron in the photoelectric effect?

The equation for calculating the velocity of an electron in the photoelectric effect is v = √(2KE/m), where v is the velocity, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. How does the frequency of light affect the velocity of electrons in the photoelectric effect?

The frequency of light affects the velocity of electrons in the photoelectric effect by determining the amount of energy the electrons gain. Higher frequency light results in higher energy electrons and therefore higher velocities.

4. What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function in the photoelectric effect is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to escape from the surface of a material. It is different for each material and is dependent on factors such as the material's composition and structure.

5. How does the intensity of light affect the velocity of electrons in the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the velocity of electrons in the photoelectric effect. However, it can indirectly affect it by increasing the number of electrons that are emitted, resulting in a higher current and potentially higher velocities for the electrons.