Photoelectric Effect: The Impact of Light Intensity on Photocell Response

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Biker
Messages
416
Reaction score
52

Homework Statement


If blue and red light are used on a photoelectric cell and they both have the same intensity (Power per area). Choose the correct option from the following
UEqSI8P.png


Homework Equations


E = nhf
Intensity = power/area
Quantum effeciency = 100%

The Attempt at a Solution


if they have the same intensity as in same power per area then the number of photons reaching the cell differs. Red has more photons than blue light does. Thus red should have higher current.

a to d from left to right.
The correct answer was a, Was the question phrased wrong and they meant by intensity the number of photons reaching the plate per sec? Or did they neglect the small difference between the two currents?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: physics123
Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
The correct answer was a, Was the question phrased wrong and they meant by intensity the number of photons reaching the plate per sec? Or did they neglect the small difference between the two currents?
In my textbook when it speaks about photoelectric effect, and it mentions "same intensity" I am supposed to think of intensity as the number of photons reaching the surface every second.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Biker
Asmaa Mohammad said:
In my textbook when it speaks about photoelectric effect, and it mentions "same intensity" I am supposed to think of intensity as the number of photons reaching the surface every second.
Yea I do that too, But in this question they insisted that it is power per area. I guess this question is just weird.

Thanks for help
 
Biker said:
Yea I do that too, But in this question they insisted that it is power per area. I guess this question is just weird.

Thanks for help
You are welcome!
 
Asmaa Mohammad said:
In my textbook when it speaks about photoelectric effect, and it mentions "same intensity" I am supposed to think of intensity as the number of photons reaching the surface every second.
Blue photons have more energy per photon than red ones (=hf). So I would not go with that view.

Also, the question IS weird since photocell reponse to frequency varies greatly with the componds used to fabricate the photocell.