Photoelectric efffect question

In summary, the photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when exposed to light. It was first discovered by Heinrich Hertz in 1887, but Albert Einstein provided a theoretical explanation for it in 1905. The significance of this effect includes its role in the development of quantum mechanics and its practical applications in devices such as solar panels and photocells. The photoelectric effect is influenced by factors such as the frequency and intensity of light, the type of material, and the work function of the material. In modern technology, it is used in solar cells, photocells, and photomultiplier tubes.
NMphoton
Hey there,
I know this may seem like a stupid question but what is the relationship between the maximum electric current and the intensity of light?

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a thin surface emitting photoelectrons (semitransparent film on the back side of a clear glass window), and a large electric field perpendicular to the surface, like in photomultipliers PMTs), the theoretical maximum quantum efficiency (QE) is 1. In this case, 6.25 x 10^18 photons per sec produces 1 amp of photoelectrons. In actual cases, PMTs have exceeded a QE of 50% at 4000 Angstroms.

Hello,

That is not a stupid question at all! In fact, it is a very valid and important question in the study of the photoelectric effect. The intensity of light and the maximum electric current are directly related through the photoelectric effect. This phenomenon occurs when light (photons) strikes a material and causes electrons to be emitted from its surface. The maximum electric current is the maximum number of electrons that can be emitted from the material per unit time. The intensity of light determines the number of photons that are hitting the material per unit area per unit time. Therefore, the higher the intensity of light, the more photons are hitting the material and the higher the maximum electric current will be. This relationship is described by the equation I = kI0, where I is the maximum electric current, k is a constant, and I0 is the intensity of light. I hope this helps clarify the relationship between these two factors. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This occurs when photons of light transfer their energy to electrons in the material, causing them to be ejected.

2. Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first discovered by German physicist Heinrich Hertz in 1887. However, it was Albert Einstein who provided a theoretical explanation for the phenomenon in 1905, for which he later won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the wave-particle duality of light. It also has practical applications in devices such as solar panels and photocells.

4. What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is influenced by several factors, including the frequency and intensity of the incident light, the type of material, and the work function of the material (the minimum energy required to eject an electron).

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications in modern technology. It is used in solar cells to convert light energy into electrical energy, in photocells for detecting light, and in photomultiplier tubes for detecting and amplifying very small amounts of light.