Photography drizzle, roses and noise

In summary, the conversation focused on photography techniques and the use of RAW processing to reduce noise while maintaining sharpness and detail. Drizzle shared a photo that was overexposed and processed back with contrast and exposure adjustments, showing the difference between a correctly exposed image and an overexposed one. Others commented on the difficulty of mastering photography and praised Andre's skills and photos.
Andre
This is what happens to roses after a night in the drizzle. I'm sure, Drizzle, that you'll think of a witty reaxion. :biggrin:

t7ogvr.jpg

Unfortunately, the day was still dull, so I had to tweak contrast to get some dynamics back in the exposure.

1zn0j2r.jpg

fvy3i0.jpg

and sure enough, -you know me- getting in a bit closer:

2w70c3a.jpg

I was also contemplating a bit about photographic noise, especially visible in the darker parts and at higher ISO sensitivities, which is subject of countless photographic discussions. The sensor of cameras has basically one sensitivity only. It's the post-picture-processing that manages ISO sensitivity. So, in the end it's the total amount of light that reaches the sensor, which determines the signal to noise ratio, apart from the quality of the sensor. Of course you can apply noise reduction, but at the cost of sharpness and fine details. So, if noise is a problem for real big poster size prints, it might be an idea to over expose and tweak back the contrast, while processing the RAW picture.

So I did that with the last picture, which is basically over exposed two stops and then processed back using the RAW editor of DPP. Here you can see the difference between a correct exposure to the left and to the right, the over exposed version, processed back with contrast and exposure adjustment during RAW processing:

radser.jpg

On top thumbnails of the original unprocessed JPG output at 7% size and below that, a life size crop of a part of the lower right corner (out of focus)of the processed RAW output. Both frames have been sharpened and tweaked a bit or a lot for the right hand one, but no noise reduction was applied. Finally on the bottom, extreme blow ups to show the favorable effect of overexposure on the signal to noise.

So, if noise is to be reduced as much as possible without sacrificing details and sharpness, use RAW, over expose one or two stops, and tweak back.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I want your camera! :grumpy:

now seriously, you guys are driving me to master in photography…..
I like to meditate nature, this would help. but giving it a second thought… man this is so hard. anyhow, I’ll still enjoy your photos you post here :smile:.

nice pics.

Nice tutorial on exposure and noise, Andre. You're right - it's easier to tweak and dial back information that you have, as opposed to trying to revive information that was not strong in the raw image. As long as the over-exposed image is not burned-out in the bright spots, you can do a lot with it.

Gorgeous Andre!

I'm just amazed by the photos members take.

Your photos are fantastic.

1. What is photography drizzle?

Photography drizzle is a technique used to create a soft and dreamy effect in photos. It involves capturing multiple images of the same subject and then blending them together to create a final image with a blurred and ethereal look.

2. How do you create a photography drizzle effect?

To create a photography drizzle effect, you will need a camera with a manual mode, a tripod, and a subject that is not moving. Set your camera to a low ISO and a slow shutter speed. Take multiple shots, slightly adjusting the focus and composition each time. Then use photo editing software to blend the images together and create the desired effect.

3. Why are roses a popular subject in photography?

Roses are a popular subject in photography because of their beauty and symbolism. They are often associated with love, romance, and passion, making them a popular choice for wedding and portrait photography. Their delicate and intricate petals also make them visually appealing and challenging to capture in a photograph.

4. What is noise in photography?

Noise in photography refers to the grainy or pixelated appearance in an image. It is caused by a high ISO, low light, or using a digital zoom. Noise can be reduced or eliminated by using a lower ISO, using a tripod, or shooting in good lighting conditions.

5. How can I reduce noise in my photos?

To reduce noise in your photos, you can try using a lower ISO, using a tripod to stabilize your camera, and shooting in good lighting conditions. You can also use photo editing software to remove noise in post-processing. However, it is important to note that some level of noise is inevitable in digital photography and can even add a unique aesthetic to certain images.