1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon colliding with stationary mass

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A photon with energy E collides with stationary mass m. They form a single particle together, what is this new particle's mass and what is its speed?

2. Relevant equations
    Energy-momentum 4-vector P=(E, px, py, pz)
    Possibly P2=m2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using 4- momenta, the particle moving with energy E has a 4-momenta of P1 = (E, p, 0, 0) and the stationary mass is P2 = (m, 0, 0, 0). The total momentum before the collision is then Pbefore = (E+m, p, 0, 0). My question is, what exactly would the Pafter equal to? Could it possibly be: Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0)
    If so that would show that E' = E+m (due to conservation of energy). How can I find the mass of the new particle from that? Does the second equation of m2 have anything to do with it?[/SUB]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the expression for the mass of a particle right here:

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    Great, do I have all the tools to solve this then? Is Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) correct? How can I find the speed then?

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a particle you have three important equations that you must not forget:

##E = \gamma mc^2##

##p = \gamma mv##

##E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4##

In particular, if you know the energy and momentum of a particle, you can calculate its mass, velocity and gamma factor.

You should experiment with these equations to see how you can do this.

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5
    These equations are rather useful, but I just want to know if Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0). If so I can substitute E' as E+m and p' as p, using conservation of energy and momentum laws. Thanks to the third equation you've given me, I can say that p = √(E2-m2) and p' = √(E2-m2) and solve for m' since we are saying that c=1 in this example. I can't see why Pafter isn't what I think it is, the new particle doesn't travel on an angle or anything like that.

7. Jan 22, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 4-momentum is proportional to the 4-velocity. You can use this fact to find the speed. In other words, how would you find the speed if I gave you a 4-velocity?

8. Jan 22, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should satisfy yourself from conservation of momentum that the final particle must move in the same direction as the photon.

Also, I think you're missing the relationship between the energy and momentum of a photon. Hint: only one of those three equations holds for a photon.

9. Jan 22, 2016 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not think the problem is what you perceive it is. A student using 4-vector notation should already be familiar with what you have said, which is essentially the statement of the components if the 4-momentum for a massive particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted