1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon-electron collision with pair production

1. Mar 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    photon collides with an electron producing a electron-positron pair, the three particles ( two electrons and one positron) move together in the same direction of the original photon.
    calculate the energy of each particle.

2. Relevant equations
    photon:
    Ep=hf
    p=E/c
    electron/positron
    1) E=Ke+me*c^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    so 2)Ep + me*c^2=3E : photon energy plus electron rest energy equals the energy of the 3 remaining particles and since mass and direction is the same the energy is the same, same goes for momentum
    3)Ep/c=3p
    so 2 equations 3 unkowns so i wrote eq 2) with 1) and substituted k for 1/2*me*v^2 and in eq 3) i substituted p for me*v, this did not yield a correct answers.
    how should i do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You cannot use the nonrelativistic kinetic energy and momentum formulas here. The particles will move at significant speed. You have to use the relativistic formulas.

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3
    so K= m*c2*(1/(1-v2/c2)0.5)-m*c2
    and p=m*v*(1/(1-v2/c2)0.5)
    thanks!

5. Mar 18, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't introduce the velocity at all. ##E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2##

6. Mar 18, 2017 #5
    ok! got the correct answer now... thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted